Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help AC9 - Hot Spot Between Wick & Centre Post

Help AC9 - Hot Spot Between Wick & Centre Post

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see if I could get some advice from fellow AC9 owners. I just got the AC9 this morning and having one main issue.

Made around 4 coils and could not get any of them not to have hot spots between where the coil ends on the wick and joins the centre post. I checked a couple of videos but I wasnít able to get it to run without glowing red hot at that point. My coils looked just like the ones in the videos except mine glow red hot at that point, any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

The vape was a burnt taste throughout all tests, pretty bloody strong burnt taste as well.

The other question I had is I am a Provari v1 user, no matter how many wraps I put on the coil and even trying to run at 3.3v it was a no go. I was able to use the check battery function to bypass the circuit so I could at least test, also had some Ego battery here I used. I was looking at the ZMax v2, would this work ok or am I looking at the same kind of problems I am getting with the ProVari v1?

Hey Dave, for hot spots, if the wire is glowing at the point between the wick and centre post, try moving the wire up and down first to get rid of the problem area. Personally, I've found that if that doesn't work, you may have wrapped the wires too tightly around the wick. Uncoil and try again, but this time, don't tug too hard on the wire when you're wrapping.

PS, not sure if this helps, but you might wanna try oxidising the wick further. Also if you have hot spots on the wick, pulsing it helps to cure it sometimes.

Cheers man, hope this helps!!
    Mushman likes this.

Super Moderator
    Hi Dave ... better oxidation , the cigarette paper trick , and general fiddlin will all help , as will the advice above ...regarding the Provari , you can also send it in to Provape in the US and get a V2 upgrade at a very reasonable cost ( like $20 + postage both ways ) if you want the ability to go lower in volts and higher in amp output ?
    Have had it done to one of my V1's and it transformed it .
    Mushman and misterlifter like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Hey guyís,

Thanks for the replies.

After I posted I decided to try and make another coil, I did read on another forum to make sure I didnít tug on the final wrap to hard when putting it into the centre post. While this did work better than my previous coils within about 3sec it would glow red again, after about a min of playing pop goes the coil.

Thanks misterlifter, I will make another coil and wrap as softly as I can, if I still get the hot spot I will try moving the last wrap up and down to see if it makes a difference.

I am not getting hot spots on any other part of the wick or coil, itís just this bloody part between the wick and centre post thatís killing me. The taste coming off the thing is bloody awful, I canít even taste the flavour of the juice over the burnt taste.

I am using the pre-made wicks that came with it, do I need to oxidise them more or use the cig paper trick if I am only getting the hotspot off the wick?

Fatman thanks for letting me know that man, I might just do that, can use my cheapy 5v one in the meantime.

Just made another coil using the 28 AWG instead, this worked much better than previous coils. I was able to get a few tests without hot spots, but I am using the check battery on the Provari to test, not sure if this is putting too much volts in for the ohm coil I have.

Got a charger coming for my old Ego batteries and going to use them as testers in the meantime.

I was still getting hot spots between the wick and post, but moving the wire around helped. Also this time got a hot spot just on the wick before the wire left for the post, again playing around with it seemed to help.

Guess playing around is the key. :P

Thanks for the help guys.

your top wrap may be too close to the centre post.. try moving your overall wick away from the post and try again.. This can be done by just using your fingers..

Also, I found that prewrapping the coil on the wick before trapping the wires help to get rid of the hot spot issue for me

Hope this helps
    Mushman and davee like this.

Yeah on this latest coil the wick is standing up dead centre, I really need something other than the provari on check battery to be testing, so going to hold off playing around anymore till this Ego charger rocks up tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks for the tip man about wrapping the coil on the wick before trapping. I take it you mean have the wick out of the AC9 and wrap the coil on it and then drop the wick into the AC9 and secure?

Yeapp that's right davegamer

Good stuff, that makes a lot of sense to me then, cause I can make sure it's wrapped neater as well that way.

Once I have some batteries to use with this thing will post up results.

Thanks again for all the help people.

When you are connecting the coil tail to the center post you are probably pulling on the wire a little as you tighten the center post screw and cutting through your layer of oxidisation.
    Try loosening your top coil and seeing if your coil acts any differently.
    You could also try the rollie paper method as Fatman suggested then you will be able to pinpoint the problem becuse the wire should heat up evenly till the wire burns through the rollie paper and you will see where your hotspot is when the wire has burned thought the rollie paper.
    What ohms are you making your coils because that could be your problem with the provari.
    You could also try pushing your wick towards the glowing part and this will give the wire somewhere to transfer it heat.
    Last edited by Bullos; 13-03-13 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast