Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Alternative juice heating, preferably without a wick.

AVF Regular

Alternative juice heating, preferably without a wick.

I've been looking and haven't found anything at all suitable to replace the pervasive source of juice heating.
    Looking at our desks, every vape we have heats juice via an electrical current through a small length of high resistance wire coiled around a wick.
    The dimensions, materials and experience varies but it's largely all the same.

I'd like something better and more precise, more cleanable, more reliable etc.

Things I've looked for;
    A semiconductor micro heater in the 5W to 10W range. Think a device with the junction bedded to a small cup with very low thermal mass and could heat very quickly to a precise temp. Nothing found.
    Ultra sonic vapourisation, like those water based 'fog' generators you see in 'Zen' water features. Possible and research will continue.

The best idea I have at the moment (drawings underway) could be described as;
    • A small ceramic cup, indentation that holds a precise amount of fluid for any notional viscosity, assuming concave meniscus.
    • A small coiled spiral of 34+ Kanthal wire rests in the cup, elevated a small distance from the cup to ensure complete fluid contact.
    • The cup and coil rest within a juice container, size varies according to non relevant factors to the heating.
    • To fill the cup, one could invert the entire device, and then hold upright. Waiting a small period, the overflow would flow down the side of the cup, leaving an exact amount in the cup/coil area.
    • Heat coil, direct airflow over the top, vape away.
    Replace coil with something else.
    Change and improve the cup filling mechanism, many obvious methods spring to mind

Initial experiments are highly promising, ideas greatly appreciated.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    From memory, some gas detectors have a micro heating element. Only know of their existence, not details or functions.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Just had a quick giggle. First one to come up. I dont have much time as heading of to airport in a couple of hours, but its a starting point?

By using CMOS technology, which is used in microprocessors and other digital logic circuits, gas sensors can be developed based on a miniature heating element (micro-hotplate) design with smart drive and accurate temperature control. This will show gas sensors to be produced in higher volume and at lower cost than current state of the art products.

The devices can be heated from room temperature to 700C in a fraction of a second and have the ultra-low power consumption suitable for battery operated devices.

News | Cambridge CMOS Sensors
    MrGruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Just had a quick giggle. First one to come up. I dont have much time as heading of to airport in a couple of hours, but its a starting point?

By using CMOS technology, which is used in microprocessors and other digital logic circuits, gas sensors can be developed based on a miniature heating element (micro-hotplate) design with smart drive and accurate temperature control. This will show gas sensors to be produced in higher volume and at lower cost than current state of the art products.

The devices can be heated from room temperature to 700C in a fraction of a second and have the ultra-low power consumption suitable for battery operated devices.

News | Cambridge CMOS Sensors
    [Bows to Sir RobRay]
    Thank you very much, I'm off to read that now, before wiring up what seems like 5,000 steppers.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    [Bows to Sir RobRay]
    Thank you very much, I'm off to read that now, before wiring up what seems like 5,000 steppers.

You never said you wanted it easy!!!!!
    MrGruffy likes this.

Super Moderator
    Hi MrG ... I thought of this a while back ... something like Ceramic Heater For Vaporizer,Cup Shape - Buy Outdoor Ceramic Heater,Ceramic Heater 12v,Ceramic Heater 5v Product on Alibaba.com
    But the buggers wont send less than gazillions of units dammit !!!
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    An alternate to wicks (of any kind) would be great ... but ... doesn't it underperform when the coil is completely submerged? Flooding is the term that springs to mind ... but you have conducted an experiment and are the best placed person to elaborate
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Hi MrG ... I thought of this a while back ... something like Ceramic Heater For Vaporizer,Cup Shape - Buy Outdoor Ceramic Heater,Ceramic Heater 12v,Ceramic Heater 5v Product on Alibaba.com
    But the buggers wont send less than gazillions of units dammit !!!
    One day I'm going to have an original idea.

One day.

Not today though.

Did you ask unit price for those lil ceramic thingys?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    An alternate to wicks (of any kind) would be great ... but ... doesn't it underperform when the coil is completely submerged? Flooding is the term that springs to mind ... but you have conducted an experiment and are the best placed person to elaborate
    The best thing I have so far is the lil ceramic cup from the depths of a comet. Working ok, but not great so far.
    If it ever gets to be better than OK I'll take pics post etc.

Super Moderator
    I dream of a ceramic heating plate tha preheats really quickly , and an adjustable juice pump that sprays an atomised stream onto said hotplate to sizzle off into our lungs when button is depressed .... fuel injection and interwarmer for e-cigs
    davee likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast