Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Can we get ceramic wicks? Export restrictions apply from the USA

Can we get ceramic wicks? Export restrictions apply from the USA

This stuff here XC-116 Ceramic Wick - 12" Heat Treated looks really useful, but for some reason,

"XC-116 is not available for export; international orders that include this product will not have this product shipped to them, and will recieve a gift certificate in the amount spent on the wick"

Steve @ SnG also told me "We can't ship them out of the US, sorry. It's an export restriction, so they would fine the crap out of us."

Something to do with being developed for military use, or some such. The last thing I would want to do is get a vape vendor in trouble, but there must be a way.

Should we try to get some somehow? A co-op and remailer or some such?

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this product and getting our shifty Australian hands on it.
    Last edited by darkhorsefkn; 26-03-13 at 03:59 PM.

"From what I have read about it, the 1/8 sized ceramic wicks were getting dry after 2-3(maybe it was 4-5) seconds of firing the coil, which to a chain vaper like myself is pretty well useless. I can easily puff for 30seconds + on my SS wicks without them going dry, on a mech mod with no 10second cut off electronics to limit how long the coil is firing.
    I just can't see ceramic being useful to most vapers, unless a lot more development was put into them since last I read about 3 weeks ago.

If you have money to burn & you want to experiment, then go right ahead but don't expect anything great from them at this stage.
    They're expensive, break easily & don't vape as well as SS mesh does but the novelty value may hold for some."

- Noe, via ecr forum

More information I just found, hope you don't mind being quoted

AVF Regular
    second chance swears by the ones he gets from tankcigs,bloody exspensive like $ 20 bucks each.i will wait until i hear from the guy from the wall.
    RIP VP

I think what the OP is talking about is the flexible Nextel sleeving. Cannot be purchased outside of the US. They don't wantt people building missiles with heat protected wiring and firing them back at them. Big fines I believe anyone tries to export it from the states. I use the rigid porous ceramic wicks. The price from Tank is $20 for 3 wicks. If you know what you are doing you can order this:

Top FinŽ Fine Bubble Airstones - Air Pumps & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

and start cutting your own for peanuts, any diameter and length you want. These bubble stones are made of the same materials and have been test fired to 2000 degrees without burning, distorting or producing toxic fumes.
    Last edited by second_chance; 26-03-13 at 06:57 PM.

AVF Regular
    ta second c i will try that.
    second_chance likes this.
    RIP VP

Excellent! I may have found my Aussie wick supplier . . .

EDIT: If you buy a couple of these, prolly best to go for the 6 inch size.

Instructions:

AVF Regular
    that's what she said .....

Quote Originally Posted by eteach View Post
    that's what she said .....
    Not really, two different products are being discussed in the first two posts. One is Nextel sleeving. This product is not brittle, does not break and can be flexed however you want. The second opinion relates to porous ceramic (stone wicks) which is what I am using. They are brittle and care is needed but, if you are careful you can use them indefinitely. The opinion expressed above also does not reflect my experience with these wicks. They do not dry out as described and chain vaping is no problem. Here is a video demo from a fellow user:

This video shows coiling and vaping. Vaping at around 14:50

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast