Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Steno
  • 1 Post By Stoney

Thread: Hybrid gauze wick: Stockholm wick

Exclamation Hybrid gauze wick: Stockholm wick

G'day! I'm from the antipode. We don't have vaping forums up here because people use 'snus' (wet snuff, Swedish) instead. I am fairly new to vaping, and a couple of days ago I fabricated my first mesh wick for my AGA-T+. It's a new kind of wick that works so good so I want to strike a blow for it. I want to know what people think. I have noted that people have had problems with mesh wicks so I decided to try a hybrid variant. (Possibly this has been invented before, but I haven't seen it.) I rolled cotton gauze (6 ply) loosely into a little "rope" and rolled ss mesh around it. The mesh layer is very thin (contrary to how a mesh wick is normally made, namely as a stiff tube consisting of many layers.) In this case the mesh only needs to cover the gauze rope. I rolled it like a cigarette until it just fitted into the wick hole. There is probably only around 2 layers of mesh to cover the gauze. (I don't know what's ideal.) One should make the wick just as big so that it fits perfectly into the hole, I believe, not to compress the cotton too much(?).

(edited) I leave a tail of gauze on the bottom (in the tank) to improve wicking. I also leave a tail at the top, which I fold down on all sides. Then I put only one layer of gauze over that, to remove conductivity. This method ensures that the cotton is kept wet, I hope. Since this wick is flexible, I bent it slightly toward the center post to remove the hot spot that tends to occur between it and the wick.

Note that there is no need to oxidize the mesh by torching. (However, as this is my first try, I don't know how long it will last.) To my surprise this wick worked very well. I have now used it for several days, and it still functions perfectly. However, I don't know how it compares with a professionally made mesh wick. I suppose the gauze is very suitable for this type of wick since it is very fluffy, contrary to cotton rope which is much more dense. (Cotton gauze is actually designed for wicking fluid and blood from wounds.) I suppose it's a good idea to leave a tail of gauze at the bottom, to improve wicking action. I suppose, capillary action also plays a role in this wick.

This wick is perfect for amateurs like me because it's so easy to make. Please try it out, experiment with it, and say what you think. If it hasn't been invented before, I suggest the name "Stockholm wick" for it, because that's where I live. If you're going try this, please also try the method with a double coil, and report your findings. I think a double coil is suitable for this type of wick. Insert another wick in one of the extra holes and make a separate coil on this. Correct me if I'm wrong: when making double coils, the resistance is divided with 2. That is, two 4 ohm coils renders a total resistance of 2 ohm.

I have tried this method with my dripper, as well. It works just fine. I also inserted a gauze "rope" that goes between the posts and under the coil, according to the standard technique. Of course, unlike with the AGA-T+, one can try different sizes of ss mesh tube when this type of wick is used in a dripper. I have earlier used silica wick, but I discovered loose silica fibres on the floor of the dripper. I don't think it's a big problem, but I just don't like the thought of inhaling such fibres. This seems to be a potential problem with silica wicks when using a dripper. I don't think it's a problem in clearos.
    -Steno
    Last edited by Steno; 30-03-13 at 02:33 AM.
    Bullos and Equipoise like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Steno View Post
    G'day! I'm from the antipode. We don't have vaping forums up here because people use 'snus' (wet snuff, Swedish) instead. I am fairly new to vaping, and a couple of days ago I fabricated my first mesh wick for my AGA-T+. It's a new kind of wick that works so good so I want to strike a blow for it. I want to know what people think. I have noted that people have had problems with mesh wicks so I decided to try a hybrid variant. (Possibly this has been invented before, but I haven't seen it.) I rolled cotton gauze (6 ply) loosely into a little "rope" and rolled ss mesh around it. The mesh layer is very thin (contrary to how a mesh wick is normally made, namely as a stiff tube consisting of many layers.) In this case the mesh only needs to cover the gauze rope. I rolled it like a cigarette until it just fitted into the wick hole. There is probably only around 2 layers of mesh to cover the gauze. (I don't know what's ideal.) One should make the wick just as big so that it fits perfectly into the hole, I believe, not to compress the cotton too much(?).

Then I rolled cotton gauze around the top of the mesh wick, perhaps only 3 layers, or so, to remove conductivity (cotton gauze is very thin, almost like spider web). Then I created the coil on top of the gauze layer. Since this wick is flexible, I bent it toward the center post to remove the hot spot that tends to occur between it and the wick.

Note that there is no need to oxidize the mesh by torching. (However, as this is my first try, I don't know how long it will last.) To my surprise this wick worked very well. I have now used it for several days, and it still functions perfectly. However, I don't know how it compares with a professionally made mesh wick. I suppose the gauze is very suitable for this type of wick since it is very fluffy, contrary to cotton rope which is much more dense. (Cotton gauze is actually designed for wicking fluid and blood from wounds.) I suppose it's a good idea to leave a tail of gauze at the bottom, to improve wicking action (although I didn't do this in my first wick). I suppose, capillary action also plays a role in this wick.

This wick is perfect for amateurs like me because it's so easy to make. Please try it out, experiment with it, and say what you think. If it hasn't been invented before, I suggest the name "Stockholm wick" for it, because that's where I live. If you're going try this, please also try the method with a double coil, and report your findings. I think a double coil is suitable for this type of wick. Insert another wick in one of the extra holes and make a separate coil on this. Correct me if I'm wrong: when making double coils, the resistance is divided with 2. That is, two 4 ohm coils renders a total resistance of 2 ohm.

I have tried this method with my dripper, as well. It works just fine. I also inserted a gauze "rope" that goes between the posts and under the coil, according to the standard technique. Of course, unlike with the AGA-T+, one can try different sizes of ss mesh tube when this type of wick is used in a dripper. I have earlier used silica wick, but I discovered loose silica fibres on the floor of the dripper. I don't think it's a big problem, but I just don't like the thought of inhaling such fibres. This seems to be a potential problem with silica wicks when using a dripper. I don't think it's a problem in clearos.
    -Steno
    Valkommen Steno, and thanks for your input.
    I have tried cotton mesh hybrid wicks, but as I'm a 15-18 watt vaper I always end up returning to pure mesh, unoxidized, pulse to remove shorts.
    Vaping since July 2012.

all hybrids are stoney wicks :P

Hybrid wick for line/genesis/squiggle
    Robray likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    all hybrids are stoney wicks :P

Hybrid wick for line/genesis/squiggle

Sure a lot of people dont even know the Squigle!! Long time ago in Vape years. But yes you invented the improved wick!!
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

at the time, it was really a way to give slica enough structural integrity for fitting as genesis where intended, now with heavier silica, I am happy to eliminate the mesh.
    With cotton or gauze I can see the reason still, I did try a rolled up piece of denim once. it tasted just like burnt denim unsurprisingly.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Sure a lot of people dont even know the Squigle!! Long time ago in Vape years. But yes you invented the improved wick!!
    It's a combined didgeridoo and vaporizer you have there. How interesting!
    -Steno

Well, it worked for four days with my AGA-T+, but then the cotton gauze on the outside of the mesh got burnt and it tasted bad (I suppose some of you already could have told me this).

So I will now try an improved method if isolating the mesh. (Otherwise I will have to revert to torching.) I now leave a tail of gauze on the bottom (in the tank) to improve wicking. I also leave a tail at the top, which I fold down on all sides. Then I put only one layer of gauze over that. This will ensure that the cotton is kept wet, I hope.
    -Steno
    Last edited by Steno; 30-03-13 at 02:42 AM.