Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Phoenix clone issue

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    839

    Phoenix clone issue

    Hi all I know these RBAs have been covered pretty well in other threads but just wanted a bit of advice as it is my first RBA of any kind.

    On the whole I'm very pleased with it, flavour is great, vapour production outstanding. But the throat hit seems to be lacking a bit particularly considering how much vapour it produces.

    The coil that came in it was a very mellow 2.7 ohm that worked OK.

    I then made my own coil using 2.5 or 3 mm wick, I'm not sure as I mixed it all up and can't tell the diff and some 28g kanthal wire. 4.5 wraps and it came in at 1.4 ohms which was what I wanted so very happy there.

    The fog off this is massive and my wife has for the first time sent me outside to vape as it is just too much to bear.

    I can run it up to about 3.5 v before it burns the juice a bit so in general I'm running 3.3-3.4 v.

    The air hole is blowing as straight onto the wick as it can be. It is a vertical wick rather than horizontal between the posts as this gets the wick closer to the air hole and the wick is vertical too so only one end in the juice well. I saw this on you tube and I am very impressed with the wicking. Also used Stoney,s method of coil wrapping with screw driver. Worked a treat.

    So where is the TH? Is there a diff setup which delivers more TH?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,476
    Excuse the bloody obvious.
    What nic % do you have?
    Have you tried rotating the cap to offset the airhole by micro smidgeons and detecting the difference for TH/taste/vapor balance?
    Can you/have you replicated the original wick and coil physical dimensions?

    With the setup you describe sounds ideal for everything except TH, I'll swap you for mine or try adding some TH elements, being less direct air or koolada coz tomes of plume and good taste are rare(ish).

    Less helpful than I'd expected, but caffeine levels slightly below acceptable Sunday morning levels.
    wood duck likes this.


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    839
    I'm on 9mg but that will not change in the upward direction as I'm dropping it if anything. Besides which that's what I use in all my other devices so its not that.

    So are you saying that less air directly onto the coil makes more TH?

    Get a coffee inya.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    839
    Ahh so more air on the coil= more vapour , less air = more TH.
    Stomp and davee like this.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,476
    Yep, that's it. On one of my thingys (DID clone and Phoenix) I can/do make small adjustments to the top cap, to balance flavour/TH/Vape.

    I've found the more direct airflow, directly onto the coil the greater the vape, taste dependent on wattage/juice/mars. I can definitely vary TH and Vape, more of one, less of the other, this way.
    Taste gets varied as well, but there's other factors at play here, like how hard I suck (Stoney opening for the car thing).
    Give it go, you might get a sweet combination of inside permissible vape, with the TH you are after and some taste in there somewhere.
    wood duck and davee like this.


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,129
    I'm finding my Pheonix clone gives a great TH, but that maybe due to me still running the coil horizontal? I'm using 3mm wick with 6wraps of 32 Nichrome. I was actually surprised at how much more TH it had than the RDA that came with the Natural.
    wood duck likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Clagiraba, Queensland
    Posts
    10,965
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    like how hard I suck (Stoney opening for the car thing).
    he sucks HARD, like pool drain hard, storm drain hard, industrial vacuum hard...

    opening used..
    wood duck, davee and MrGruffy like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D



  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Yep, that's it. On one of my thingys (DID clone and Phoenix) I can/do make small adjustments to the top cap, to balance flavour/TH/Vape.

    I've found the more direct airflow, directly onto the coil the greater the vape, taste dependent on wattage/juice/mars. I can definitely vary TH and Vape, more of one, less of the other, this way.
    Taste gets varied as well, but there's other factors at play here, like how hard I suck (Stoney opening for the car thing).
    Give it go, you might get a sweet combination of inside permissible vape, with the TH you are after and some taste in there somewhere.
    Yeah well tried spinning the airhole to the other side and the TH is much more to my liking with not much of a drop off of vapour. Thanks for that.
    davee likes this.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,476
    The Phoenix and horizontal coil seems most amenable to micro adjustments.
    Happy you are happy.
    davee likes this.


  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by wood duck View Post
    ...
    The air hole is blowing as straight onto the wick as it can be. It is a vertical wick rather than horizontal between the posts as this gets the wick closer to the air hole and the wick is vertical too so only one end in the juice well. I saw this on you tube and I am very impressed with the wicking. Also used Stoney,s method of coil wrapping with screw driver. Worked a treat.

    So where is the TH? Is there a diff setup which delivers more TH?

    Thanks in advance.
    Afternoon duck Would you like to upload a piccie of your coil & wick setup, I'm interested to have a look?
    wood duck likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 06:27 PM.