Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: **Battery WARNING!

AVF Regular
    Should write a letter to Joytech and ask them to pay for a new chair. and fix your floorboards.
    Although I dont think Joye actually make a 400mah. Must be a clone brand.
    Last edited by arth_d; 01-04-13 at 01:03 AM.

AVF Regular
    oh wow. that is scary :O
    i'm so glad it happened when it did and not when mrg was in the chair or you were both sleeping. it would have been better not to have happened at all, of course, but the timing could have been a hell of a lot worse. right now my practice of charging batteries over night stops. good lesson in this for everyone (except all those battery nerds who seem to know so much about them already)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Hopefully Stoney or SS60 will pop in and tell you I am speaking bullshit if I am lol !!!
    I am a little too cautious I guess , I like to match my charger output to the battery involved tho
    That's one of the better philosophies to have FM... match accordingly.
    Stoney or SS will know about this.. be interesting to see if Joyes charger CE certification complies with it's claims.

PS.. Seasick Steve has a new album out shortly

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Little bit of caution on the Soshine charger ... if you have a mix V2 I would suggest using the smaller battery slots , as they charge at 300mA and would be fine... the 18650 slots usually belt out 1000mA ... the 2 bay fast charger whacks out 1600mA if one battery is fitted or 800 mA if two are inserted !!!
    I am hoping they have a nice regulation ( they seem too anyway ) but these charge rates are too high for under 650/900mA ego batts ... and you would be still relying on the inbuilt ego circuitry to protect in the case of cell maintenance .

Hopefully Stoney or SS60 will pop in and tell you I am speaking bullshit if I am lol !!!
    I am a little too cautious I guess , I like to match my charger output to the battery involved tho

Thank you for those words of wisdom!!! Didnt know that, and notice taken. Its all good, as the wood will be cheaper!! Need some cheap drawing pins now???

Anyway, I found this little gem on ECF, which might clear up a couple of misconceptions I had. It seems the safety is in the charge circuit on the eGo battery. If that goes tits up, all bets are off!!

"Very simple chargers simply supply current to the battery and have an LED that comes on when the batteries come somewhere withing the peak voltage output they are rated for, but still don't stop supplying current. This is why they say to take your batteries off the charger when the light comes on and not to leave them on there. Simply put, if you leave batteries on a charger too long and your charger keeps pumping current in them they are damage and their life is shortened."

Charging Li batteries out of charger?
    Goyder and marty like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    awww dammit! that means i might have to go shopping so i can be charging 3 or 4 batteries and using 3 or 4 all at the same time. mrg, did you do that on purpose???

I just gave a person a generic brand 400mah eGo model to try, with a genuine joyetech usb charger.

I'm a little worried about this now. I'm going to warn them to charge the battery only for an hour max, never unattended, and to charge it in places not near children or flammable liquids.

Are there any precautions I should add? Can they charge it whilst in a special bag or container to that if they explode, it contains any fire?

AVF Regular
    Its easy to get paranoid about this issue. The facts are that dangerous failures are rare.

For sure dont leave them over night, but common sense says certainly keep an eye on them, and watch the charger light for changes. When I first started, I would do all my charging in the garage in a tin box. I dont anymore. Only had one charger failure at a hotel in Singapore. Charger smoked and stopped working.
    marty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Thank you for those words of wisdom!!! Didnt know that, and notice taken. Its all good, as the wood will be cheaper!! Need some cheap drawing pins now???

Anyway, I found this little gem on ECF, which might clear up a couple of misconceptions I had. It seems the safety is in the charge circuit on the eGo battery. If that goes tits up, all bets are off!!

"Very simple chargers simply supply current to the battery and have an LED that comes on when the batteries come somewhere withing the peak voltage output they are rated for, but still don't stop supplying current. This is why they say to take your batteries off the charger when the light comes on and not to leave them on there. Simply put, if you leave batteries on a charger too long and your charger keeps pumping current in them they are damage and their life is shortened."

Charging Li batteries out of charger?
    Do genuine Joyetech batteries have a good protection circuit? Do you think generic brand eGo batteries will have that same protection circuit?

I'm sending out an email to all the people that have bought eGo batteries from my recommendation, to never leave it charging over nght, and remove it from the charger as soon as the light turns green.
    darkhorsefkn likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Do genuine Joyetech batteries have a good protection circuit? Do you think generic brand eGo batteries will have that same protection circuit?

I'm sending out an email to all the people that have bought eGo batteries from my recommendation, to never leave it charging over nght, and remove it from the charger as soon as the light turns green.

I am certainly not placed to make an informed comment on this? This is a link to dissuasion thread on ECF on the very issue.

Does the eGo have a single point failure built in?
    marty likes this.

Is this a good little safety manual for charging eGo batteries? A 5minute draft, let me know if anything should be added, or changed. I want to send this to people. Feel free to use it yourself aswell.

Robray, Fatman, MrGruffy and 4 others like this.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast