Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: **Battery WARNING!

AVF Regular

Exclamation **Battery WARNING!

Exploded 2 Smallerer.jpg

And so is the chair, luckily I had vacated the chair a few moments earlier.
    Ego type 400mAh battery had had enough of charge and decided that the usual flashing blue lights just wasn't enough attention.
    Quite loud pop, and on returning to the scene found a stunned mrsGruffy and my chair on fire, seemed like a comfortable resting place for most of the burning ex-battery.
    Glass of un-rumed water or two later we were looking for the spare chair.

Resolutions:
    Refresh on the already strict rule, no unattended battery charging
    Considering building a safer non flammable contained space for charging.
    More geeky options depending on the prevailing mood in the morning.

Count at half time;
    2 continuously operating autos
    1 no function 650mAh ego original
    1 melted/shorted clearo and flaming 650mAh ego original
    1 exploded 400mAh battery.

If this is not the right area or content, happy for this to be modded or moved.

Probably all those dodgy mods you build out of them..
    steve.c, Mia and joe4211 like this.

Wow! I'm not charging over night anymore!
    mrsgruffy, Whizgig, Mia and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by davee View Post
    Probably all those dodgy mods you build out of them..
    No this was completely off the shelf stuff.
    My dodgy mods? How very dare you. Non of those have exploded or won pretty contests.

Retired Account
    That was some scary shit. It exploded, sending molten bits of stuff all over the chair and under the desk. We have scorches on the floorboards,

and the chair caught on fire immediately. He had just headed for bed, with me about to follow.

Please, please, please, do NOT leave batteries to charge, ANY batteries at all, unattended.

The safety stuff they're supposed to have fails sometimes.

I'm still extremely distressed about what state MrGruffy would be in right now if he was still sitting in that chair.

For that matter, how much house we would have left right now if it gone without dousing for just a few more seconds.

Please, always remove your batteries from chargers before bed, and never ever leave them unattended.

I am glad your putting it out there. I've had nothing at all fail yet (touch wood), but it obviously pays to take precautions!
    Oh, and I'm still waiting for the "BikerVape" model to come out?
    joe4211 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post

I'm still extremely distressed about what state MrGruffy would be in right now if he was still sitting in that chair.

He'd be some kind of energizer bunny I reckon!
    susie canasta likes this.

Super Moderator
    No Battery wants to grow old disgracefully at the Gruffy's House , they have seen what happens to gear that doesnt perform , so it is better to go out in a shower of sparks than be molested at the evil workshop hands of Mr Gruffy !
    ( on a serious note , glad it was just a chair etc , and you guys caught it before it got more serious )

Sometimes I think we favour fashion over form sometimes , little batteries are far more likely to be over stressed during charging and discharging , simply due to the C Rating demands placed on them , and as such have a wee bit more potential for failure .
    I might be a bit of a wuss , but espescially ego batts etc ( and yes I have a few clones as well ) I prefer to charge with a dedicated USB charger ( wall plug jobby , not PC USB one ) inside a Lipo Safe bag in my besser brick fortress in the model room .
    Because I often charge higher capacity RC model batts , I have the technology and facility lol, but I do think if you have any concerns and are a dedicated vaper , a dedicated fireproof charge area is a good idea .
    Mine is simply a Besser block placed on a plate of 1/4" Steel , and the fibreglass fireproof charge bag goes into besser block holes ... I also have a ceiling extractor fan in case it does fume out .... I have never actually had a battery explode in the bunker , except for the test ones tho ... and they were proof of concept enough , explosive vent was contained , and air , although heavily smoked , was cleared out and safe in a minute or so after combustion had ceased .
    Last edited by Fatman; 01-04-13 at 12:04 AM.
    davee, DocM, joe4211 and 2 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator

Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack

These are the sacks I use .... cheap as chips at Hobbyking , or on the net ... ( quality does vary per supplier tho , I do recommend the Hobbyking versions)

If you wanna go over the top .. get one of these and put the liposack in it LOL

Turnigy Lipo Bunker - Lipoly Safety Charge Box
    Last edited by Fatman; 01-04-13 at 12:02 AM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    We were just talking of a suitable venue Mr FM, this is an excellent idea. Along with checking the smoke detectors tomorrow, we'll go over our fire plan AND build a safe area.

Sheesh, do one bomb detection and treatment course and the little things start exploding.

Gold star for FM
    Fatman, Whizgig and joe4211 like this.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast