Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: RBA coil/wick life?

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Stoney, if you have time, could you post a picture of your AGA-T silica wick setup please?

Perhaps some instructions if you have extra time. I am interested in trying this setup.

Thanks
    1)cut 3cm of wick
    2)stick wick in hole of EMPTY tank
    3)wrap 5 turns of kanthal round top same as a mesh wick
    4)dry burn *important kanthal prep step and why tank needs to be empty
    5)fill tank, leave fill screw out
    6)vape
    7)refill tank till juice discolours
    8)take top off aga. rinse under running cold water, fill tank, flick tank empty, refill and do it again
    9) goto 4
    marty likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

the aga does not give the flavour of the phoenix by a long shot, not sure why yet.

this wicks 2 weeks old, had a dry burn yesterday, needs another and is due to replace out of principal.

might do a db and post another pic see if it looks different.
    marty likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Does the silica turn black? I imagined it was going to be white.

Thanks very much btw. A profile side view of it would be great if you can

Cheers

post dry burn .. i missed the image with smoke due to ipad and tapatalk having the worst camera form factor known to mankind. not my best wrap this oneeither but has been doing the job.

the best picture i could get of the wick post cleaning.

marty likes this.

lol, did not notice till i looked at the pic that my clamp nut had come undone.
    still, it was working but not ideal.

the wick gets pulled close to the centre when you tighten, no reason to be concerned about it so long as the heater is not shorting on the centre pole, keeps the lead wires short and cool.

the picture of the orange coil i turned down the voltage from 5v dry burning to 4.3v for the photo, it looked like a light bulb on a flat car battery before that, too bright to photograph easily on ipad. i give these coils a hard time. this coil is 3.1Ω though, so usually vaping at a bit over 8W.
    Last edited by Stoney; 08-04-13 at 02:21 AM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    well thats an interesting point .. but how can a red hot wire at 700C damage a wick that can cope with 1500C ?
    I notice the wick seems to fracture, but I think its a mechanical stress .. just not sure about why ?

they seem to last for longer in an aga-t no matter how many dry burns I do.
    Don't know why, but it fails directly under the coil (after about 18 days, dry burning every second day mind you)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney
    ok, lets examine the logic of your tightness (me .. i am lazy)
    wick 10m .. $10 roughly
    3cm = 3c
    lets chuck in a another few cents for kanthal

water boiling .. I am going to estimate 1500W for 15 minutes (how long you boil for)
    lets call it 1/2 a kWh .. thats about 10c
    Yeah, more lazy but ... power used is a lot lower ... boiled in a 750W microwave for 1 minute prior to the db, 30s after so ...
    1.5min/60min x 750W x $0.31/kWh = $0.0058
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I wanted to show off but I don't use silica. In my aga-t I've had the same wick for 3 months, but that's just mesh and kanthal, and it's my all day vape .

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Don't know why, but it fails directly under the coil (after about 18 days, dry burning every second day mind you)

Yeah, more lazy but ... power used is a lot lower ... boiled in a 750W microwave for 1 minute prior to the db, 30s after so ...
    1.5min/60min x 750W x $0.31/kWh = $0.0058
    heh, touche
    I fudged the figures to see if you would come back with facts
    but for 1 minute .. you started with hot water ?
    aha !
    factored in microwave wear and tear ?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    heh, touche
    I fudged the figures to see if you would come back with facts
    but for 1 minute .. you started with hot water ?
    Nah, 120ml of tap water (cold) which doesn't take long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney
    aha !
    factored in microwave wear and tear ?
    Doh! Knew I forgot to factor something in

Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123