Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: RBA coil/wick life?

RBA coil/wick life?

Hey all, im not a beginner but by no means an expert. Ive been experimenting with different coil setups with the phoenix clone and have only managed to get a coil/wick lifetime of about 2 days (chain vaping). Im not using dark juice. I was wondering if this is normal and what in your opinion is the best coil method.. I have been using 34g Kanthal with 2mm silica wick doubled up. avg at 2.5ohm @ 7.5w.

Thanks in advance!

AVF Regular
    That's a tough one. A lot of the time it comes down to juice (but your not using a dark one) and also silica quality. Depending on the juice I get between 7-21 days and I use very clear juices.

Also depends if you vape saturated or dryer. It's a very tough and subjective question.

I find I only get about 3 days out of a coil if I vape organic mango from VM but if I vape a DIY menthol I can get up to 3 weeks or more off an RBA. I think it's not just down to clear juices but also flavour. Hope this helps.

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

AVF Regular
    Maybe a thicker guage kanthal may help. 32AWG even.

I was getting about a week on a phoenix with vinnys 2.5mm wick with a daily rinse and dry burn before vapor would drop off a lot. On tear down it was apparent the wick was disintegrating under the heater. Using 3mm wick from silicawicks, it does not seem to disintegrate as much but the phoenix is harder to fit 3mm stuff into and I moved to the aga-t with silica, I have used a wick for 3 weeks before replacing it but only cause I thought it needed replacing .. it didn't.
    There is such a thing as too much wick imo, I took advice from the real atty makers, take a look at a 510 or 306 and they are tiny thin wicks with very closely wound heaters, many turns so I have been trying to emulate them. Keeping heater turns as close as possible and fairly tight. My best performing wicks use this method but I think longevity suffers.

You didn't say how yours died ..
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    Maybe a thicker guage kanthal may help. 32AWG even.
    for thin wicks, 34 works much betterer than 32.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Thanks for the quick reply guys! Will definitly try the thicker kanthal when my igo-L get here (more room to play and better aesthetics on the vamo).

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I was getting about a week on a phoenix with vinnys 2.5mm wick with a daily rinse and dry burn before vapor would drop off a lot. On tear down it was apparent the wick was disintegrating under the heater. Using 3mm wick from silicawicks, it does not seem to disintegrate as much but the phoenix is harder to fit 3mm stuff into and I moved to the aga-t with silica, I have used a wick for 3 weeks before replacing it but only cause I thought it needed replacing .. it didn't.
    There is such a thing as too much wick imo, I took advice from the real atty makers, take a look at a 510 or 306 and they are tiny thin wicks with very closely wound heaters, many turns so I have been trying to emulate them. Keeping heater turns as close as possible and fairly tight. My best performing wicks use this method but I think longevity suffers.

You didn't say how yours died ..
    Atty kept giving me a burnt taste, consistant dry hits and lack of vapor. Wick was always saturated with juice (but not flooded)..

did you find the wick was degrading under the heater ?

if so .. yeh its dead, if not, try rinsing with water and dry burning.

Very new to the world of rba myself, but hey I'm up to day three on the first coil I've made that I'm happy with so that's a positive.

Interestingly I've noticed that without using flavour the coil stays shiny for quite some time but if I run some flavour through it it goes black straight away. Part of the reason I use unflavoured juice is that I am sensitive to the taste of burning coil and it ruins my vape.

One thing I've found that works quite well with most devices is to use unflavoured juice in between the flavoured stuff.

Example, 10 drops of flavour, then 10 drops unflavoured, then another ten unflavoured , then hit it with your fav again and so on.

I promise this will extend the life of your coil by three times at least, and when you put your flavour in you really know it as the taste buds have had a break too.

Everyone is different but that's what works for me.
    gtadmin and MrGruffy like this.

wick and coil is as black as you can get, almost looks like the wick dry and cracking even though it is saturated.
    wood duck likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast