Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 3mm silica wick

AVF Regular

3mm silica wick

Hey guys and girls,

Wondering if anyone grabbed any of Neo's wick and have been using it?

Does it need to be torched or boiled first? and also in your rebuilds are you doubling over or just using single layers?

I haven't had much time (or have much time) to experiment.

Cheers for the info

MMM

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

no need to boil or torch whatsoever. there is no smoke when torched like some of the other wicks I have used.
    you do need to dry burn a new coil or the kanthal tastes rank, its not for the silicas benefit tho, its the heater.

I am starting to think this stuff is too thick tbh.
    if its saturated .. well you get nothing off it, it holds sooo much liquid. means it runs cool so flavour is good like with a genesis imo, i think flavour is inversely proportional to operating temperature, with silica this size, its much the same as a mesh wick.
    I think TH is the opposite, increase temperature for more TH.

I am currently using a big U and single heater, both ends in there own aga-t wick hole, looped over near the centre post, so it still gets liquid from both ends. running a 2.5 ohm coil and around 5v so 10W and its still a bit of a cold weak vape. 10W should be rocking 4 turns of 32 gauge.

next one I try will be less turns, so still running 10W but into a smaller length of wick. trying to heat a smaller volume.

also considering a new wick style .. actually removing half of the wick where the heater is wound but leaving full thickness up to that point on both ends.

both methods will allow more heating.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    so your running a single wick stoney? not doubling it over? i doubled it over in my a7 mini and the vape is a little weak. 6mm of wick might be too much hey?

Just shifter to a single wick its about the same but much easier to manage. Makes rebuilding easier
    Last edited by Michael-Mikey-Mike; 15-04-13 at 04:29 AM.

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

Try removing 2 strands from the silica and see if that helps.

definately don't double this stuff. it expands when it gets wet. By removing 2 strands it should be about 2.5mm?

And I'm going to say this for the record. The A8's are a piece of shit......... I hate them. Mine keeps catching alight and its gay. I hate it! I really want to throw it out.
    Last edited by neofelis; 15-04-13 at 04:44 AM.

AVF Regular
    yeah its wicking pretty well for being a single strand instead of 2. Makes rebuilding a lot easier

Hmm, just spoke to my mate who has some of my silica - he did a double wrap on an IGO-L dripping atomizer. He claims the vapor production is fine so I'm not really sure what it can be

Prob just best to use it unfolded.
    Last edited by neofelis; 15-04-13 at 07:04 AM.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I have some running in a Penelope and have set it up the same way always do which is doubled over under the coil and single wicks running down the side. It is wicking really well, but vapour is a little bit light on compared to the GG wick I usually use.

With this wick I have the juice control hardly open at all, whereas with the GG wick I'll have it almost fully open (same juice, same resistance)

Not bad though, still enough vapour, nice and clean and didn't take long to break in. Heaps better than alot of wick out there, but not as good as the stuff from GG IMO.

I think its identical to the stuff from GG, is there a reason to think otherwise, any visible difference or is that an opionion CMB?

reason I say that .. the 'silica wicks' stuff I got in was touted to me as identical to the GG wick (which I have not seen) and from what I can tell, the stuff Neo got in is the same as the 'silica wicks' wick. So I am wondering if you have some to physically compare to..
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I think its identical to the stuff from GG, is there a reason to think otherwise, any visible difference or is that an opionion CMB?

reason I say that .. the 'silica wicks' stuff I got in was touted to me as identical to the GG wick (which I have not seen) and from what I can tell, the stuff Neo got in is the same as the 'silica wicks' wick. So I am wondering if you have some to physically compare to..
    It certainly looks the same, but then again it looks the same as some other Chinese 3mm wick I have. I did notice it broke up and frayed a bit more easily than the GG stuff, I'll take a closer look next time I do a setup.

It definitely appears to wick more than the GG wick, as I mentioned above, if I set the juice control on this wick to where I would normally have it with the GG wick, it floods, not sure what variables in setup could cause this considering I make the wicks the same way each time, same res, same juice etc. I can also say that in all the setup's I have ever done in the Penelope with the GG wick, I've never been able to vape it with the juice control this far closed. That tells me it is likely different in some way. I'm not a wick technologist

Happy to send you some of the GG wick if you would like to check it out for yourself and do some more investigatoring?

I wonder if a lower ohm coil would stop it from flooding?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast