Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Provari intermittent power, how to clean/fix ?

Provari intermittent power, how to clean/fix ?

So I bought a Provari from someone a couple months ago, and I love it when it's working.

The problem is it tends to lose power sometimes, I can tell when this happens because the LED flashes. Sometimes I bash it against my hand and it will work again. Sometimes I have to take the cap off (18650 extension), take the battery out, put it back in, and then it works.

I am guessing the problem is dirty battery contacts. I have tried scraping the positive contact with a scizzor blade but I still get the problem.

I am wondering if I should give the end cap a bath in brasso or something... Or can anyone give me another method?

Cheers.

I have also wiped the cap threads with a tissue, they are nice and clean (both on the cap and on the body)

AVF Regular
    You can give them a alcohol bath (everclear or iso alcohol) to fix most of the problems. Just make sure to let it dry overnight before putting a battery back in. Provape suggest doing this and has always had great results

Do you mean the whole thing or just the end cap? Also what is everclear?

Replace the battery imho.. Mine packed up and wouldn't fire anything but would switch on, replaced the battery and it came back to life.
    When ever you have power problems with a provari, It's time for a NEW battery.

As for iso bathing it.. I don't think that's needed in most cases. I iso bathed mine 5 times with no prevail. Replaced the battery with an IMR battery and it hasn't skipped a beat since.

For anyone wanting to know what isopropyl is, Its found in the Paint section at bunnings with all the solvents It's around $7-$8 a bottle.

Last edited by neofelis; 23-04-13 at 08:32 PM.

Replacing the battery does seem to fix the problem but I cant understand why... I might try the ISO bath .. Do I bath the body or just the end cap? Won't the ISO **** with the electronics?

You remove the battery and fill the provari half way with isopropyl, then put the end cap on and shake it a few times, drain it out and let it sit over night.

It's designed for electronics and circuit boards hence all the electronic parts on the bottle. Painters also use it for something I guess.. It's like 97% Pure Alcohol.

This won't fix your problem though, A new battery will though.

I only use AW IMR batts neo... The chemist told me I can order in almost pure Isopropyl alcohol so I might do that

@neo .. isopropyl is used for resin clean up. bunnings ripped you off, i buy a litre at a time from a chem supply place for $13

its not 'designed' for electronics .. its often used as a solvent for flux.

The switch in these is not fully sealed, I do not suggest filling the tube personally. Thats more a fix for battery voltage reading high or atty resistances reading funny.

dismantle if you want to clean it properly ..
    an area overlooked by most is the negative connection to the pcb, this is contact tracks on the edge of the pcb where it slots into the body.

if all else has failed .. i would be looking at that area. its needed by the switch mode and is as important as the positive .. its like the spring in a kick.

to dismantle .. need to remove screws in display cover.
    tap out top cap from inside tube with a long screwdriver or drift, being careful not to turn the internals into splinters and do not break the wires, support the cap.
    slide out pcb .. switch down so button does not mangle switch.
    clean slots with isopropyl, clean pcb edges with isopropyl, give top contact a good clean.

you say its not the battery .. what sort of battery is it ?
    bk_renesis likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Stoney I always like your posts

Like I said, I only use AW IMR 18650s. Got some 1600mah and some 2000mah.

Stoney, that method might work but I am scared of breaking it. If I swing you some cash would you be able to do it for me? I am living in Cairns now but I can pay for postage both ways + a bit extra for your trouble

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast