Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Truth About Taste

The Truth About Taste

Here it is people THE TRUTH. As I see it..... Hey where'd ya all go stay with me on this will ya.

All right so it's a subjective truth, I've got 2 years research on this and a diploma. (I lied about the diploma)

Ok being a flavourless vaper gives me a different view on hardware and how it effects the flavour of vapour and it may interest some people.

Cartomizers all basically taste the same. From the first draw of a fresh carto I can distinctly taste the filler material. It is a flavour I have never encountered on any other type of device and it gets worse the longer you keep vaping on it. It is also an indescribable taste and there is nothing else I have ever tasted that is like it. Flavours disguise it well but eventually it's what makes you throw them out and get a new one.

Clearomizers All work off a very similar design whereby the coil and wick have a silicone grommet sitting on top of them to stop them from flooding. I can distinctly taste that silicone grommet as it heats up from close proximity to the coil but also I think from heat in the wicks where they make contact. The only exception I can think of to this is the Comet which have other problems.

Right that's enough of my truth for today. Feel free to jot down a few I may have left out
    gtadmin and mathsguy like this.

The silicone thing is interesting. It's supposed to be inert, at least medical grade silicon is, and I would have thought being inert meant no taste.

Wood duck, would you say that any of that tastes "chemical"? So many people say some juices taste chemical, but it may not necessarily be the juice on it's own, but a mixture of certain juices with certain equipment.

All interesting, I will have to try some flavour free vaping and get some perspective on it myself.
    wood duck likes this.

Jas
    AVF Regular
    Note to self make sure cartomizer filler is always fully soaked in cinnamon bun and 18mg of nicotine.
    wood duck likes this.

kanthal .. not preheated thoroughly before first vape.
    the worst taste known to vaping, strongly suspecting that issues with 'primer fluid' is in reality kanthal not pre prepared fully.

burnt carto fill .. toss it.

silica .. win, no taste. suspect its why the use the stuff in the first place.

cart plastic .. tastes like plastic if there is a heater near it, ego cartos ., big fail.

acrylic drip tips .. fail, perhaps i am sensitive, i would rather drink paint than use one.

dirty filler .. been using the same carto for a month, you are disgusting
    would you do that with socks ?

juice dregs .. water is your friend, use it. a lot, particularly on RBA's. daily at least, every flavour change.

that being said .. i also vape iunflavoured at times for minutes, days or weeks even.
    its a great way to reset the taste buds and get a handle on your nic or the new device you are trying, since you know exactly what it should taste like.

some of the worst flavours i have tried came from juice mixers. but they are 'flavours' and not 'tastes' .. tastes are a sign of something astray and are generally chemically.
    wood duck and davee like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Cisco atomizers properly wet, best flavour ever. Dry, worst throat hit you've ever had or could possibly imagine.
    wood duck, Fatman and davee like this.

AVF Regular
    wood duck, have you tried playing around with different pg/vg mixes in your unflavoured juice? does one have a more distinctive characteristic (reluctant to use the word flavour here) over the other?
    wood duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    The silicone thing is interesting. It's supposed to be inert, at least medical grade silicon is, and I would have thought being inert meant no taste.

Wood duck, would you say that any of that tastes "chemical"? So many people say some juices taste chemical, but it may not necessarily be the juice on it's own, but a mixture of certain juices with certain equipment.

All interesting, I will have to try some flavour free vaping and get some perspective on it myself.
    Well according to my phd in vaping(I lied about that too) it can be a combination of things but generally if you like a juice and it starts tasting bad then it must be the equipment. However if you load up a juice for the first time and its not to your liking and tastes like a chemical compound from the Bowells of a Monsanto factory then chances are it's the juice.

Interesting how useless diplomas and PhDs are in the real world. Sorry in advance for any useless information.
    gtadmin, Fatman, davee and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    the worst taste known to vaping, strongly suspecting that issues with 'primer fluid' is in reality kanthal not prepared fully.
    That very well could be the main issue with comets.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    the worst taste known to vaping, strongly suspecting that issues with 'primer fluid' is in reality kanthal not pre prepared fully.

burnt carto fill .. toss it.

silica .. win, no taste. suspect its why the use the stuff in the first place.

cart plastic .. tastes like plastic if there is a heater near it, ego cartos ., big fail.

acrylic drip tips .. fail, perhaps i am sensitive, i would rather drink paint than use one.

dirty filler .. been using the same carto for a month, you are disgusting
    would you do that with socks ?

juice dregs .. water is your friend, use it. a lot, particularly on RBA's. daily at least, every flavour change.

that being said .. i also vape iunflavoured at times for minutes, days or weeks even.
    its a great way to reset the taste buds and get a handle on your nic or the new device you are trying, since you know exactly what it should taste like.

some of the worst flavours i have tried came from juice mixers. but they are 'flavours' and not 'tastes' .. tastes are a sign of something astray and are generally chemically.
    Hmmn Iunflavour I must try it.

I made up some high VG juice and when it tastes bad I get a more 'wet dish cloth' taste from it than the PG which seems to be 'burnt tyre trying to molest your lungs' kind of thing, but then that's just an observation of my own, I could just be imagining it.
    Last edited by BleakOptimism; 24-04-13 at 06:38 PM.
    wood duck likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast