AVF Regular

Problems setting up a Genesis

Hope this is the right section...

After using tanks for a bit now and wanting to see what a genesis was like bought a couple of Aga style genesis and for some reason its just not performing how i thought it would. Compared to cartomizers they seem absolute rubbish, get a harsh hit, less vapour and a weird taste. Ive watched hours of tutorials on Youtube and the only difference i can think of is that instead of using butane to heat the wick is oxidizing it over lpg on stove top. Would this be a problem>?

I dont think theres a problem with my wicks as i can get them to all heat evenly and have no hot spots most of the time. There must be a short somewhere though as when i do 3-4 wraps its only reading 1.2-1.3 ohms and shorts out alot

Ive tried both 400 and 325 stainless mesh and 28g kanthal is all i got at the moment, with a juice 65% pg / 35% vg and am using an evic

You have a hot spot which is causing that nasty metallic taste.

Make sure no wire is glowing which ISN'T touching any wick. If its glowing > generall between the Negative screw to the wick OR From the Wick to the Center post it will taste like shit.

Also make sure all coils are glowing evenly. If you have a mech mod, try the pulse method I've found it works better.

Hi kostanz, try to aim for 1.8Ohms and not too tight on the wraps.

When you say AGA Style do you mean the AGA-Hydra?

Is it all Steel with no window?

Try to get your wick closer to the center pin by bending it in a tad to shorten the distance of the wire to the Positive terminal too, might help.

When you say the wick heats evenly, are you saying the coils glow evenly?

The Ohms reading can vary if you move the coils about and also make sure the wick isn't touching the base as the end may be frayed and tracking especially if the wick isn't fully oxidised.

Good luck mate

AVF Regular
    Using an AGI genesis and AGA-T2, i used an eGo-C battery to pulse the coils and have all 3 glowing at same time and at same brightness. Have the wick a bit bent towards centre post and seem to have no hot spots. Seems to be alot better but still getting more flavour from a dct ;/

EDIT: It only reads 1.3ohms with 3 wraps and using at 8watts
    Last edited by kostanz; 26-04-13 at 05:18 AM.

Are you tilting them vaping?

its so hard to identify these problems via text..

Can you upload a video of it?

AVF Regular
    Seems to be working a bit better now. With juice on wick i could see a very faint glowing near the negative terminal, so pushed it over around the wick a bit more with a pair of tweezers and now its vaping alot better and spitting off the wick.

Still only getting 1.2ohms off 3 wraps but will do for now until i get some more wire. Think i will head to Bunnings tomorrow anyway and buy a butane torch since heating coils on the stove is hard to get fully hot

EDIT: Yeh i got it about horizontal
    Last edited by kostanz; 26-04-13 at 06:37 AM.

You could also try more wraps-higher ohms and/or a cotton/ss hybrid wick. I'm a noob to Genesis too and finding that an extremely thin layer of cotton gauze makes it foolproof (for me). If you have higher ohms you can adjust the voltage up more.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    If you have a multimeter or even a mod that will check ohms, then checking the ohms with just the coil on & no wick, then checking the ohms again after you insert the wick will tell you if you have a short. The ohms should be exactly the same both times, if it isn't you have a short.

I'm failing to see how your ohms could be that high using 28G Kanthal, I have a 4/5 wrap of Kanthal on my AGA-T, which gives me 1.1 - 1.2ohms on my multimeter, checked to be exactly the same with & without the wick.

This thread may help, it goes into detail of my method of build for the AGA-T, the same principles apply to the AGA-T2 & most other genesis: My new method of building wick & coil for AGA-T gennesis atty
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!