Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do I need to use protected batteries in a mechanical mod?

Do I need to use protected batteries in a mechanical mod?

I was thinking about getting some of these 3400mah 18650's for use in a Reo Grand and an Adam with a kick.

2 x NIPPLE TOP No PCB Panasonic NCR 18650 B 3400 mAh Lithium Ion battery ncrb | eBay

Is this safe or do I need the protected version?
    Life is too short for genesis atomisers and pbusardo reviews.

I just use one of these

Vape Safe

More for my own piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    Sod it, time to buy some chickens, pack the cat and move to an island.
    http://southanstreetorganics.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_A View Post
    I just use one of these

Vape Safe

More for my own piece of mind.
    Does it add much length? I'm already worried these will be too long.

if you are using it with a kick, its no longer a mechanical mod, the kick will melt long before any damage done to the battery.

the vape safe thing is a ripoff joke but will act as fuse plus adding some more resistance and an etra contact, you may as well use a protected battery though, it adds about the same size with less resistance and better protection including underdischarge and so on.

So far as I know .. the green panas will get stinking hot if shorted and give you plenty of warning somethings up, I doubt they will vent as the internal protection will shut them down before kaboom.
    AlbinoNeutrino likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    if you are using it with a kick, its no longer a mechanical mod, the kick will melt long before any damage done to the battery.

the vape safe thing is a ripoff joke but will act as fuse plus adding some more resistance and an etra contact, you may as well use a protected battery though, it adds about the same size with less resistance and better protection including underdischarge and so on.

So far as I know .. the green panas will get stinking hot if shorted and give you plenty of warning somethings up, I doubt they will vent as the internal protection will shut them down before kaboom.
    Thanks Stoney - so unprotected is fine with the kick, but use protected batteries in a fully mechanical mod right?

pretty much.

I am happy enough that the average 18650 and especially these 'safer' chemistry ones from a good brand have the protection in there to avoid expelling flame.

when someone starts posting pics of exploding imrs and these batts, I will start to worry.
    yet to hear of an 18650 venting in a tube mod at all, every issue so far has been smaller cells.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Cool, thanks man. I'll pick some up and give them a go, 3400mah in the Reo sounds like the shit.

AVF Regular
    Pretty sure the Reo has a hot spring on it so the spring should collapse and break the circuit if there's a problem
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Regular
    my opinion reo grand = IMR high drain batterries to get the most out of it (i use aw imr for every mod)= unprotected but safe chemistry they dont have a protection switch built in but are very safe chemistry versus unprotected with no safety switches and unsafe chemistry. Hi drain can provide more power and good with LR devices and a kick. Protected are more limited in power but usually higher mah, unprotected/unsafe chemistry can blow up lol

and yeah once when i did have a major short the spring collapsed
    Last edited by Mickg33; 02-05-13 at 03:03 PM.
    I have 50% Originals and 50% clones, am too lazy to try to change the world and bored with the whole debate

I pussied out and went for these ones - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_8050wt_1397 . Hopefully they will do the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast