Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoney
  • 1 Post By Stoney

Thread: Dry burning silica

AVF Regular

Question Dry burning silica

What's the go with it? I've always been hesitant to do it for fear of really burning it.

Every time I pull apart a build there is always some form of black burnt stuff around the coil, is this just juice or the silica burning?

Where does the burnt taste come from with silica?

I never dry burn it myself, I just pull the coil apart and wash it in water, if there is any burnt material on it i just pick it off..

JN << Silica noob
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -- George Washington

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Silica wont burn.(in our application) Black stuff is juice residue build up. It stops the wick absorbing the juice, hence the dry hits and burning taste. Needs removing.
    Last edited by Robray; 10-05-13 at 10:59 AM.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

It won't burn easily. I often put it in a gas flame till it glows red after washing.

AVF Regular
    Thanks, good to know. It just looks like it would burn easily I guess, hence the confusion.
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -- George Washington

The re-entry heat tiles on the space shuttle .. same stuff. silicon dioxide.

You need a very hot flame like an oxy-acetylene to melt the stuff..

rinse with water, dry burn till its dry then dry burn till it stops smoking at all.
    TheJuiceNinja likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

ok, I used my crappy at short range sony bloggie to record this, apologys for focus, but you will get the idea...

last time I tried recording this yesterday I used a head mounted gopro and it showed most of the kitchen instead, at least this is just the area of interest

TheJuiceNinja likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Cheers mate, nice demo. All fear of burning it now alleviated