Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael-Mikey-Mike
  • 2 Post By Michael-Mikey-Mike
  • 1 Post By ckane
  • 1 Post By Michael-Mikey-Mike

Thread: Kanthal Vs Nichrome

AVF Regular

Kanthal Vs Nichrome

ok so i been doing a bit of reading on the two main different types of resistance wire we use in our RBAs, came across this thread on ECF, its pretty good for anyone wondering.
    Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome t1

and

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3RWJmYWc#gid=5 for a spreadsheet of resistances hope this helps people with RBAs
    ckane likes this.

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

AVF Regular
    and here is a really handy calculator for AWG and SWG conversion to metric (mm)
    American Wire Guage (AWG) and Standard Wire Guage (SWG) to millimetre and inch wire size converter.

and a great ebay store to get your nichrome and kanthal A1 wire at a damn good price as well
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/zivipf-on-...p2047675.l2563
    Last edited by Michael-Mikey-Mike; 11-05-13 at 05:01 AM.
    ckane and spawn_8 like this.

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

AVF Regular
    Nice MMM just ordered 100m of the 30 A-1, now for no resistance.
    Michael-Mikey-Mike likes this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

AVF Regular
    yeah was looking around and found that ebay store. The price and shipping is freaking awesome! compared to a US palce, shipping is a flat $25 and the prices were no where near as competitive. They also have various sized silica wicks too
    ckane likes this.

AVF Regular
    just ordered 100m of 34 kanthal a1. Man, its a great price! under $20 for a lifetime supply of wire lol

AVF Regular
    Ok wow. So i just made another rebuild on my ERA. Made sure i had no shorts with the post. 5 wrap of 32 AWG is reading 1.4 ohm (spot on) on a single 3mm silica wick (thanks Neo).

Just torched the hell out of the coil and wick (torched for about 1 minute till wick was glowing white and coil glowing red several times over). It tempered the coil and wire legs so i don't think it will expand or shrink anymore (new to this concept of expansion of wire and its consideration into rebuilding). installed it. Adjusted the coil so its all pretty close together and close to the centre and in between the posts. added 20 drops, damn that silica is thirsty and then vaped at 3.5V.....WHOA! pushed it to 3.7V and still wow!

I have always used nichrome and have been really happy with its results. But with this method i just tried (by no means did i discover it or anything, just thought i'd try it this way as i saw someone else do it like this on a youtube vid but with nichrome) and the results are freaking fantastic! i always had a slight silica/wire taste to my vape which i grew accustomed to but it always went away after a little bit of vaping (would say it was a break in time).

This way, no metalic taste, no silica wick taste. Can torch the hell out of the wick and coil setup and the coil won't snap (it did with nichrome). The taste is very clean and fresh (using VM summer splash).
    I am converted (for now) to kanthal. I have to perfect kanthal like i did nichrome but wow! Will be doing mroe experiments as within the next few days but for now, kanthal FTW!

And as stoney noted before, he used to get a sore throat when he vaped nichrome, i would as well if i let the wick and coil get close to dry (was getting a bit of a sore throat earlier, so it prompted me to try again with what Stoney said in mind). Lets see how it goes with kanthal a1 32 AWG but at the moment i am very very very happy with it. Anyone into silica RBAs or RBAs in general, the links in the above posts have great prices for wick and wire! give it a shot.

I was an avid nichrome user for about 2 years, now i am converted! i know its only a bit of wire, but for a person who has been vaping for so long and likes easy setups and no fuss RBAs, man this is awesome! Kanthal all the way!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Michael-Mikey-Mike; 13-05-13 at 04:37 AM.