Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Are my batteries Protected?

Are my batteries Protected?

Not sure if the batteries I have are protected. The left one was ordered from Vapebar and the right one is an efest. I've ordered a mechanical mod and would rather use protected batteries but for now I have a few of these in the pic that I use in my Provari mini. I do have a 2c vapesafe chip on the way also so should these batteries be ok either with or without it?

Batteries.jpg

These are IMR (lithium manganese oxide) batteries - they are not protected, but are safer chemistry batteries than Li-ion, so you should be fine assuming the usual standard safety precautions are taken. I've been using an 18350 IMR Efest battery in my mechanical mod without any problems (just don't stack them).
    Last edited by icarus; 17-05-13 at 09:15 AM.
    xALISAx likes this.

Ok Thank you

Just an added clarification - "standard" Lithium ion protected/unprotected batteries have "ICR" stamped on them.
    xALISAx likes this.

So even using unprotected batteries, since I'm going to be using the 2c for safety vape safe chip, should I be ok with any battery or should I source out some protected batteries next time I purchase them?

Any good quality *IMR* you'll be fine with - and you have 2 good quality ones there - AW and Efest.

As to which is safer - IMR vs protected Lithium-ion (ICR); that is a hotly debated topic; but I think the IMR may provide better performance in high drain devices.

Also, I'm not really familiar with these 2c fuses in relation to usage with IMR batteries having never used one before, so perhaps one of the other members can weigh in on that .
    Last edited by icarus; 17-05-13 at 09:48 AM.
    xALISAx likes this.

AVF Regular
    The 2c fuse is ok to use with IMR's. I have one in my Jazz Cartopipe at the moment under the Efest 18350. I'd previously had a short which collapsed the hot spring. Rather than change the spring, I've stretched it back out slightly and use the 2c fuse. The fuse was provided by Romaniac and I'm sure he wouldn't have done so if it wasn't ok.

Just my 2c worth
    xALISAx likes this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

Super Moderator
    The fuses will protect the batery in the case of a dead short or similar , but they wont protect from over discharging . There are two kinds , resettable and single use , single use are ok , but like they infer , once they blow , you chuck em in the bin .

The efests are not a bad little battery , just be sure to cycle them out of the mod regularly if you are not a good judge of battery voltage by vape feel ... i.e. the first few times you use them , check the voltage with a meter now and then to determine their charge state ... although these type of batteries can be drained down as low as 2.5V they will serve you longer and for more cycles if you keep the final voltage above 3.3 or 3.4 V ..

You will usually find the vape starts to drop off around that mark anyway
    xALISAx likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Good advice Fatty. My pipe batteries don't get anywhere near full discharge, as the pipe is pretty consistent in letting me know when the vape is tapering. And I like it with a fresh battery, so have four in rotation ensuring there is always a fully charged one available.
    xALISAx and Fatman like this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

This is the fuse I've got coming. Vape Safe Fuse Not sure if it's a single use or what. I don't know much about them. I'm just used to my provari that tells me everything I need to know. I'm a worrier and a paranoid person so I'm trying not to over think this whole thing and scare myself out of using a mech mod. LOL. As far as feeling the vape quality go down, I do remember back when I was using my ego batteries, I could tell when the battery was low simply because the taste of my vape was getting cooler and the flavor was falling down. I just want to assure myself that I'm going to be safe and not have something blow up in my hand. Maybe I"m just over thinking this whole thing but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I cycle through 4 batteries. As soon as the light on my provari starts to flash, I take that one out and stick it in the charger and change it out for another one. I guess I can just use my provari to check the battery strength until I get used to what the vape tastes like on a low battery and then be able to sense it myself. I don't have a multi meter. Where can I find one of those if I decide to buy one in the future? My battery right now is reading 3.5 on my provari and I have only just changed it out. I've had 2 of the AW batteries since Oct 2012 and the third since Dec 2012. The efest is only a few months old.

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast