Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Silica question

Silica question

I've been using 3mm silica wick from Neo lately and I have noticed it seems to want to come apart if I bend it.

For example if I use a loop in my RDA right where the silica bends little bits start to stick out, and if I brush it they fall out.

Imagine if you break a green stick and it doesnt fully break, you have those spikey bits sticking out. It's like that.

Is this just me? Does it always happen? The silica seems to go all to pieces if you mess around with it too much, and the amount of white powder in the bag makes me wonder if I should be washing it before use to get the fine loose particles out, but nobody seems to wash silica and if I did I expect I would have to take some kind of steps to keep it all held together.

I'll take a pic of my latest igo wick to illustrate but I'm not sure you will be able to see as the fibres that stick out are so fine.

It's quite normal. I think neo's wick is one of the better one's as far as staying together goes. Must remember it's really glass fibres. not very flexible. Quite brittle. I try to be as gentle with mine as possible when making wicks, as some silica I had nearly fell apart if it was bent.

AVF Regular
    Inhaling silica dust causes lung disease (silicosis)....I rest only slightly assured that this isn't an issue for vapers because the wick is, or should be, always wet.

The number of times I've inhaled burning 'stuff' though, I do wonder if I'm also inhaling silica particles.

I've taken to using minimum required bends now, rather than put the coil right up next to a folded over bit of silica that seems quite common. I figure I want as much wicking capability from each side of the wick, so the wick hangs out each side of the coil by the same amount.

This one is quite good actually, bit of SS in there makes a difference
    davee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Inhaling silica dust in HUGE quantitys over a LONG time MAY cause lung disease (silicosis)....I rest only slightly assured that this isn't an issue for vapers because the wick is, or should be, always wet.

The number of times I've inhaled burning 'stuff' though, I do wonder if I'm also inhaling silica particles.
    your paranoi is showing again jen. added a few words to your quote to clarify your post a little. I hate uneducated scaremongering and exaggerations.
    find someone with silicosis who did not inhale the stuff in a work environment for a very long time, usually stone cutters and pottery workers. living near a beach is more dangerous. silica threads in a wick are far too large to make it into the lungs deep where they are a problem, quoted sizes I have seen are 25 to 40 microns.
    i would suggest that not breathing at about the only safe option.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Yeah, I admit I'm paranoid Stoney!

But it doesn't hurt to counterbalance the gullible belief that is often sprouted around here that vaping is totally safe and even very good for you, as this is something we cannot yet know for certain.

Plus I often vape all day long...at least the same amount of time I spend in a work environment. That's pretty extensive exposure to any known or unknown irritants in the whole vaping process.

But you're right, not breathing at all is the only safe option as there is so much crap in the air. And lungs are generally quite efficient at dealing with that.

I have never seen 'totally safe' mentioned ever here unchallenged.

There is however a big difference to guaranteeing someone silicosis if your wick dries out. That is utter bollocks.
    might want to read up on hexavalent chromium and acrolein as well, you should have us all killed off within a week.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Can't get the damn phone to focus, no pics of my wick and coil and sticky out silica bits.

Vapes like a boss tho

yeh, have seen broken glass fibres, they snap if you bend them vigourously or flex to and fro.
    if you need to bend, do it gently so they are not stretched in the process and do it once.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    might want to read up on hexavalent chromium and acrolein as well, you should have us all killed off within a week.
    Bloody hell, they sound nasty! Now I've got two more things to obsess about. :P

Anyway, apologies for annoying you Stoney.
    Stoney likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast