Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Micro coils

Micro coils

Guys,
    I've just done a micro coil setup on my igo-w and it's easy as. Gives very good results. Has anyone else tried this? Highly recommended. Been looking for a wick and coil setup that doesn't burn grants vanilla custard and this seems to be it.

Amateur tutorial start on page 3 of this thread.

Cheers
    Polymer
    Last edited by polymer314; 14-07-13 at 02:14 AM.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Is that 10 wraps of 32 gauge?
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe,

That was 28 gauge mate, as for wraps I lost count after 8. I think 10-11 is about right.

Cheers
    Polymer

I did try this but it was a spectacular failure. What resistance did it come out at polymer?
    Life is too short for genesis atomisers and pbusardo reviews.

wow. forgive my noobness but doesnt matter if the coils are touching? What sort of resistance r u getting with this?

Albino- I haven't even put it on the provari to check yet. It was 3am (I also like to live dangerously, LoLs) I'll do it first thing tonight.

Urecia- No it doesn't matter if they're touching.

Sent from my Kayfun using smoke signals

I've got a 10/11 wrap of 28 gauge running at 13 watts on a Zmax v2 and absolutely love it. It comes out at 1.5ohms for me. I find it provides a very thick vape, and provides a very comparable experience to a mech running sub-ohm coils.

I think the theory is that a cluster of wire has much better thermal properties for vaporising juice than spaced out coils. And put simply, it is in contact with more juice.

In terms of the coils touching, it's not going to create a short like what you may see on a coil wrapped around a SS mesh. Electrons like to travel paths of the lowest resistance, meaning on a SS mesh wick, if the electrons find bare piece of low-resistance SS, they'll jump to that rather than continuing down the resistance wire, causing a short. In a contact coil (microcoil), the entire build has the same resistance. Meaning in this case we're creating something more like a cylindrical heating coil.

This is also why ribbon wire has become popular; more surface area.
    Last edited by luntingsir; 12-07-13 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Engrish
    Mickg33, gtadmin, Olfella and 4 others like this.

please share how you wrap it up so evenly and nicely rounded wraps all touching? any particular tools?
    Olfella and timmah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luntingsir View Post
    I've got a 10/11 wrap of 28 gauge running at 13 watts on a Zmax v2 and absolutely love it. It comes out at 1.5ohms for me. I find it provides a very thick vape, and provides a very comparable experience to a mech running sub-ohm coils.

I think the theory is that a cluster of wire has much better thermal properties for vaporising juice than spaced out coils. And put simply, it is in contact with more juice.

In terms of the coils touching, it's not going to create a short like what you may see on a coil wrapped around a SS mesh. Electrons like to travel paths of the lowest resistance, meaning on a SS mesh wick, if the electrons find bare piece of low-resistance SS, they'll jump to rather than continuing down the resistance wire, causing a short. In a contact coil (microcoil), the entire build has the same resistance. Meaning in this case we're creating something more like a cylindrical heating coil.

This is also why ribbon wire has become popular; more surface area.
    There you go, learn something new every day.
    I was paranoid about the coils touching even on a silica wick because everyone seems to stress the point of spacing them out.

Not sure how polymer does it, but the first method is to use a small screwdriver to wrap the coil, and then pull the wick through. Easiest method to pull the wick through is to start with some 32 gauge wire, double it over. Insert the 32 gauge through the coil. Loop the wick through the 32 gauge, and then using the 32 gauge pull the wick through and into the coil. I've just made it sound a lot more complicated than it is. Think a similar process to pulling wire through in-wall conduits.

The second method is using the wick + sewing pin method. Good for single stranded wicks.

The third, and what I use, is simply freehand. It's easier to do if you're using doubled over 3mm silica.
    suspect, Olfella and Samtron like this.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast