Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How often are you replacing your coils? (clearomizers - Stardusts or similar)

How often are you replacing your coils? (clearomizers - Stardusts or similar)

Hi all,

I'd like to get the input of others on the below. Sorry, it's a little detailed as I want to give you some background info.

I've been using an EGO - Stardust combo since I started vaping in January 2013. Earlier in the year, I wouldn't replace my coils. I'd simply clean out / dry burn my clearomizer after 3 weeks of usage and then dispose of it after another 3 weeks of use. I no longer take the time to clean the coils as the replacements don't break the bank.

When I first started buying replacement coils (only a few months ago), I would go 2 weeks before having to replace the coil. In the last month or so, I've noticed that I'm having to replace my coils every 5 days or so. That said, I used to treat my E-cig like a real cigarette and leave the office building whenever I wanted to have a vape. As of late, I've been vaping at my desk and tend to vape a lot more than what I used to.

Hardware/liquid: When mixed, my flavours range from clear to gold with a 60pg / 40vg ratio of 18mg that I'm now accustomed to and quite enjoy. I use an EGO-T with an 1.8ohm coil.

So i've gone from not needing a coil clean / replacement for 3 weeks, to 2 weeks and now to every 5 days or so.

Here are my findings within those days:

Days 1 & 2:
    * The colour of the liquid in the clearomizer is the exact same of that in the bottle.
    * Whilst inhaling with my lips around the mouth piece, if I block the hole with my tongue, I can feel the warmth on the tip of my tongue.
    * Inhaling doesn't require much effort.
    * Great amount of vapour
    * Flavour tastes great

Days 3 & 4:
    * The colour of the liquid is beginning to darken (residue)
    * I can no longer feel the warmth on my tongue if I stick it out whilst vaping
    * I need to draw on the ego for a longer period of time to produce half of the vapour that I'd produce on days 1 & 2
    * Vapour production = poor
    * Flavour isn't as strong. No burnt taste, just not as evident as days 1 & 2

Days 5 +

* The colour of the liquid is now dark brown
    * Vapour production is poor
    * Flavour is barely noticeable

And so the coil gets replaced.

At $2.20 a coil, I'd be spending $160 a year (assuming that i'm not buying them in bulk) which really doesn't bother me as this is what I'd be spending a week on cigarettes.

I'm looking to hear from those who use a similar set up who vape constantly throughout the day. How long 'til you clean / replace your coils?

Cheers,

GC

AVF Regular
    If you recoil them yourself you could save some cash and won't have to order them as often. A spool of wire and wick will last ages.

AVF Regular
    Its like im reading my own post, dude im having EXACTLY the same problem (s). I've (temporarily) given up on TCCs and am using my new protank mini. But I have bulk kanger t2s to get through. Ive jumped to a conclusion that different batches are different quality as Im finding when I refill my clearos unless theyre 2/3 to full there is bugger all flavour. Its really frustrating.

So sorry I cant really answer your question but I can empathise. My only solution I could give you would be try BCCs, evods are good and cost effective, I prefer protank mini now but theyre twice the price.
    Caffeind likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthflo View Post
    Its like im reading my own post, dude im having EXACTLY the same problem (s). I've (temporarily) given up on TCCs and am using my new protank mini. But I have bulk kanger t2s to get through. Ive jumped to a conclusion that different batches are different quality as Im finding when I refill my clearos unless theyre 2/3 to full there is bugger all flavour. Its really frustrating.

So sorry I cant really answer your question but I can empathise. My only solution I could give you would be try BCCs, evods are good and cost effective, I prefer protank mini now but theyre twice the price.
    At least I know I'm not alone. I might give the bottom coil clearos a run to see how they go. I know I could steer away from the EGO - clearomizer combo and look into bigger and better things, I just love the simplicity of it and also the size of the device. A stainless steel Ego-T with a clear clearomizer sits and looks good.

Arth - cheers for the advice. It was something that I had been looking into in the past but haven't revisited.

AVF Regular
    I just clean them thoroughly and then dry burn the gunk off the coil. You can do this quite a few times before replacing them

Give the evod bcc a try. I too started with the stardusts, they work ok but juice seems to glug up the wicks quicker ( this also depends on the juice, I once used a clearo for 5 weeks on vk vanilla custard!) and I could never be bothered cleaning/dry burning cause there so cheap. The evods seem to last 2-3 weeks but don't deteriorate until right at the end so you seem to get a better run out of them. Replacement coils are cheap too.
    Caffeind likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm a bit envious of fruit vapers, I think these juices are easiest on coils. The kinds of juices I vape are all darker coloured and often NET juices. So right from the start I've had trouble with coils....top coils, bottom coils, rebuildable coils.....every bloody one of them!

I have to replace them every couple of days, I've never got more than 3 days out of a coil before I had to fart around with. It's constant and drives me bloody nuts. Right now I've got about 12 coils of various types sitting in my gunked bowl waiting to be washed and dry burned.

I've often thought if smoking was this much trouble I'd never have persevered long enough to get addicted.

AVF Regular
    It all depends what your vaping, my wife is using a justfog maxi and she only vapes menthol, 50/50 12nic, she's been using the same coil head for over 3 months and its still like new, I use kanger T3S with protank coils and vape mostly cigar/cherry cigar and I usually have to change them around every 2-3 weeks on average.
    Jeff

AVF Regular
    OMG, 2 weeks on the same coil would be a dream come true for me. How on earth do you do that??!

Super Moderator
    NET juice here, so a dry burn and new wick every day
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast