Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How tight should a coil wrap around a silica wick?

How tight should a coil wrap around a silica wick?

I've tried to wrap a silica wick by hand with no needles/screws and such and it gets a pretty right wrap, where it's hard to move the coil along the strand without disrupting the coils. I've also used a crewel needle which seems to make good coils, I can then screw the silica into the coil, this method allows the coils to slide along the silica strand quite freely with a tiny bit of resistance, not like if I were to hold the silica upright the coil would fall right off. I haven't tried either of them in a clearomizer/atomizer yet as I've got way too make pre-made coils from the 4 Protanks I've bought, but just wanted to get my coil building technique down.

If it helps I'm using a 2mm wick, if there are any sized nails/screws/needles that work perfectly, please leave a comment. I'm thinking of using the 16 gauge blunt needles that come with the syringes you use for DIY, if you use that, I'd also like to hear how it turns out. Please include as well whether you hold the nail/screw/needle next to the silica as you wrap or if you wrap the coil around the coil itself and then thread the silica in.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 13-08-13 at 08:36 PM.

AVF Regular
    I wrap 32g kanthal directly onto 2mm wick for my pro tanks and have no problems at all 5/6 wraps is working well.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

I use 3mm silica and 32g a1 kanthal for my protank coils, bout 6/7 wraps. I just use a small sewing pin/needle and put in down the centre of the wick to make it stable and wrap straight onto the wick. I use a piece of sticky tape to hold the end of the wick together as I do this.
    Meeuwsy likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by killmeimhere View Post
    I use 3mm silica and 32g a1 kanthal for my protank coils, bout 6/7 wraps. I just use a small sewing pin/needle and put in down the centre of the wick to make it stable and wrap straight onto the wick. I use a piece of sticky tape to hold the end of the wick together as I do this.
    This ... also aids with wicking
    Meeuwsy likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Quote Originally Posted by killmeimhere View Post
    Hmm, I'll try that, but I think that a needle would just destroy the threading on the wick, but still worth a try.

I use pliers to tighten the coil around the wick. This way it takes me less time if not none to remove hot spots easier to adjust the coil without wrecking the whole thing as well. Pls correct me if im wrong or suggest better ways as im not sure about its safety

I found if u get a screw the thickness of the wick and wrap the coil around the groves off the screw about 4 to 5 time's then reverse the coil out of the screw.u get a perfect spacing and round coil.then thread the wick threw the coil holes so when it's wicked juice it expands and it's just perfect.
    anth and Meeuwsy like this.

Any way u feel is easy.just don't do it to tight or the coil will not allow the wick to flow the juice in between the coils properly for grate vape.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I found if u get a screw the thickness of the wick and wrap the coil around the groves off the screw about 4 to 5 time's then reverse the coil out of the screw.u get a perfect spacing and round coil.then thread the wick threw the coil holes so when it's wicked juice it expands and it's just perfect.
    I would try that, but kind of have to go out of my way to head out to Bunnings and then go through their thousands types of screws to find one that makes a coil the perfect size and spaced apart correctly.
    jsalvacion123 likes this.

True.but if you know it's a 3mm wick just ask a store guy for 3mm screw or if u have a estimate on thickness off wick and screw if it slides in easy and more room for second wick put another in so on just as long as it's just touching the inside of the coil for when juice is soked the wick expands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast