Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: a few questions about RBAs

a few questions about RBAs

I'm not buying one for a while, probably not till December at least, but just want to be in the know of the pros and cons of an RBA before I jump in. Pretty sure I'll be getting a SmokTech RSST for a start.

Some questions I have are;
    - I've seen people talk about the "genny tilt", do RBAs not wick properly?
    - How long does an SS Mesh usually last?
    - If the mesh wick starts to show signs of breaking down, can I just flip the mesh over?
    - If a coils pops like a week in can I just replace the Kanthal but keep the mesh?
    - Can an iTaste SVD effectively burn out hotspots? I've heard the Provari shows an error message if there is a hotspot.
    - Is there other ways to oxidise a mesh other than a blow torch?
    - Can I use silica wicks in the RSST?
    - And last question for now, what wire is recommended; 28, 30 or 32 gauge?

I'm pretty sure these questions could be answered by looking around AVF and Google, but I'd like all the information I may need in the future to be in 1 convenient place.

Thanks.

AVF Regular
    I have some setups that I don't need to tilt (it actually overwicks then). The tilt varies depending on wick setup and to help with wicking if required. You can also reuse your wick over and over, so you keep the existing wick if you pop a coil etc. I have only replaced wicks if it is a bad one to start with eg user error during set up. re RSST, you probably could whether its any good? Dunno. I started with 32awg or .2mm wire and have used the others, its all cheap so get some of each to see what works best for you.
    Meeuwsy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Once you make your wick its good for a month at least,stainless rope pretty much for ever and excellent wicking,with wire guage it's really up to you on what ohms you want.The lower guage the lower the ohms so if your using a VV mod 30-32 would be best suited to get above 1.2 or provari can run .8.you can work out hot spots on a VV mod but if its shorting somewhere you won't have the resistance for your mod to run iu but poking it around abit usually helps.If you pop your wire any time just recoil no need to replace your wick.mesh is cheap so just replace when it's buggered.blow torch or gas burner will oxidise also burn off any oils or crap on your mesh.cheers hope this helps
    Meeuwsy likes this.

AVF Regular
    - ss mesh does not wick as good as silica/cotton, " genny tilt" fix that.
    - My ss wick last over 7 weeks until I decided to play with different set up.
    - You can flip over, make sure you torch it to get rid of gunk buildup.
    - yes, you can change the coil and keep the wick.
    - I don't own Itaste but Provari can fix hotspots when turn to 3 volt then work up the voltage, lower than 1.0 ohm coil, Provari would spit out E1,E2 so 1.0-1.5 is ideal for Provari.
    - You can use gas stove to oxidize mesh.
    - I never try silica wick on genny, there is no point!
    - 28,30 or .6,.7 ribbon imho.

some else will chime in or correct me, Please.

Hope that helps,

Edit: all my Gennies are rocking on 2mm ss wire rope with ss mesh diaper, they seem to be indestructible!
    Last edited by Hoey; 16-08-13 at 03:47 PM.
    Toddosh, Meeuwsy and bikam0wz like this.
    I refuse to subsidize an economy that largely benefits the Chinese Commie Party and the so called People's Liberation Army, its relatives and friends. More like an oriental Mafia than a political party.

Karl Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoey View Post
    - ss mesh does not wick as good as silica/cotton, " genny tilt" fix that.
    - My ss wick last over 7 weeks until I decided to play with different set up.
    - You can flip over, make sure you torch it to get rid of gunk buildup.
    - yes, you can change the coil and keep the wick.
    - I don't own Itaste but Provari can fix hotspots when turn to 3 volt then work up the voltage, lower than 1.0 ohm coil, Provari would spit out E1,E2 so 1.0-1.5 is ideal for Provari.
    - You can use gas stove to oxidize mesh.
    - I never try silica wick on genny, there is no point!
    - 28,30 or .6,.7 ribbon imho.

some else will chime in or correct me, Please.

Hope that helps,

Edit: all my Gennies are rocking on 2mm ss wire rope with ss mesh diaper, they seem to be indestructible!
    Oooo, SS rope. Would you kindly link me to a website where you would buy it? Been seeing a lot of reviews on it and apparently it wicks like a beast.

edit: huh, apparently I can just pick it up at Bunnings LOL I'm reading that 7x19 is good for gennies and 2mm is good for the wick hole in RSSTs
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 16-08-13 at 04:08 PM.

Guess I'll just move along to stainless steel rope.. and just use the mesh as the contact point for the kanthal.. $1/meter for the stainless steel rope and that'll probably last a life-time against $5-6 for like a 20cmx20cm sheet or whatever it is that will probably last me like 2 weeks cause I know I will stuff up the first like 10 I make.

AVF Regular
    My - mini DIDs wick hole is 2.8mm
    - Gemini DID 2.8mm
    - Temon DID 3.4mm
    - standard DID 3.5mm
    All work with 2mm ss rope.

I did try 3mm, 2.5mm, 1.6mm 7x7 and 7x19 but I found 2mm 7x7 work best, easy to work with because of stiffness , does not fray and wick fantastically!

I got the ss ropes from allthingstainless.com because my local Bunnings does not sell 2mm rope in meter.
    I refuse to subsidize an economy that largely benefits the Chinese Commie Party and the so called People's Liberation Army, its relatives and friends. More like an oriental Mafia than a political party.

Karl Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoey View Post
    My - mini DIDs wick hole is 2.8mm
    - Gemini DID 2.8mm
    - Temon DID 3.4mm
    - standard DID 3.5mm
    All work with 2mm ss rope.

I did try 3mm, 2.5mm, 1.6mm 7x7 and 7x19 but I found 2mm 7x7 work best, easy to work with because of stiffness , does not fray and wick fantastically!

I got the ss ropes from allthingstainless.com because my local Bunnings does not sell 2mm rope in meter.

Thank you so much for supplying so much information. If I may, which Bunnings is "your local bunnings" don't want to waste time looking around in a store that doesn't have the thing I'm looking for. If worst comes I'll go to allthingstainless.com. I'm thinking of trying 2.5mm and 2.0mm in both 7x7 and 7x19.

I wonder who the hell decided to stick a steel rope in and thought that it would work.
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 16-08-13 at 05:57 PM.

AVF Regular
    shortyjacobs is the man !

Epping Bunnings.

devietRod recommended this but I got enough of rope already.

Karl Rand.

Thought I'd tack onto this thread seeing its noob type questions. I only have experience with clearos so far. I am interested in trying gennies but don't understand how they work. Can someone please help me understand. I just don't get how stainless steel can carry liquid like silica can? How does this work? I have experience rebuilding my protank coils so I get how to make a coil, just can't figure out how liquid fights against gravity and travels up a ss wick to be vaporized by a coil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast