Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ekowool wick and the protank

Ekowool wick and the protank

So I'm interested in trying ekowool wick with my protank coils. Vapersphere are the only local suppliers I am aware of and I am waiting for them to get more stock.

Vapersphere only stock the 3mm in the hollow braid, worried about juice leaking through and flooding. I can get solid braid on ebay but from OS at a cost.

Any other protank users have recomendations? Ive only been using 3mm wick as far with no extra flavour wicks and no leaks, works well. Not game on trying 2mm as I feel it would leak or you would have to use flavour wicks on top. If I used high ratio Vg juice I would go the 2mm but I mainly vape high ratio pg juice.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback, really keen to try out ekowool wick as it seems to be fast becoming the goto wicking material. For clearo uses anyway...

AVF Regular
    You can always go for the 1.5mm (i think) solid braid, double it over and then trim the ends. Though the ekowool seems to bigger than the stated size when compared to standard silica wick. Someone else will chime in a second who uses it more than I do.

Cheers,

Baz.

Cheers for your reply Baz, not a bad idea, could try that. Hoping some others will come along with their knowledge too.

Bump. Cmon fellow protank coil rebuilders.

I'm not sure about Pro Tanks because I don't use them, but I have been rebuilding some ebaron dripper coils this morning with Ekowool. I use 3mm silica usually, but just got 10m of 2mm ekowool from Poland. The 2mm is slightly thicker than the 3mm silica I usually use, so bear that in mind. Honestly, don't buy into the hype too much - ekowool is fine but its not going to change your life.
    killmeimhere and TheDishD like this.
    Life is too short for genesis atomisers and pbusardo reviews.

Thanks for the reply AlbinoNeutrino. Anyone else thinking the same? Elkowool aint that much better than any other silica then?

So, I tried out 3mm hollow braid Ekowool on protank head rebuild, seems its a little too thick. Sorta gets strangled by the chimnea and only just fits. It did vape, but not well, seemed to be too resitrictive. Going to try Ekowool again in 2mm. Anyone else want to comment on their experience with ekowool and Protank head re-builds?

I've just bought some 3mm silica wick from vapeking to rebuild all my protank attys. I have seen a video on the net of it being done so hopefully wicks ok. As was said ekowool is a bit thicker so might not be comparable.

I found 3mm ekowool is thick for protank. I tried 2mm ekowool and 1-2 strands on top of the coil. Works fine but having occasional flooding.

Now im using a microcoil and 2mm silica 1fold. Working fine (3rd day) and no flooding yet on a 60/40 70/30.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

AVF Regular
    Ekowool hollow core 2mm does the job fine (not doubled over). Normal 2mm silica braid, I just double it over and it does the job just as well. Must admit I am tossing up between the the 2mm ekowool and the doubled 2mm braid. Jury is out ATM but the difference is like splitting hairs. However, when you get that certain juice that needs a slightly higher voltage, the doubled over silica braid has the edge IMO. 2mm doubled Ekowool is too cumbersome and I find also affects the draw. Yea I know, some people say the draw is only affected by the air intake etc, but I find that the ekowool expands a bit more than the braid, how that affects the draw I don't know, only that it does and of course you seem to go through the juice.

I tried different sized ekowool as well as braid from both Oz and from ebay and settled on the 2mm for each as the best for what I wanted them to do and how they performed when bound and snipped off at the ends. The other thing I found to be just as good is the 24ply natural cotton candle wick (from ebay). The difference I found between the candle wick and the ekowool or braid is that the candle wick has a a slight softening or smoothing effect on juices, like adding a whisker of vanilla ? You don't want the self trimming type of wick it burns too easily. Don't worry about it being described as "flat", it soon expands and goes more of a round shape especially once you have bound the kathal and the juice hits it. This is where I got mine from 24 PLY Flat Braid Cotton Candle Wick | eBay

It also comes down to how tight you bind the kanthal. I use pliers to grip the kanthal over and around a blunt 18gauge needle. Like my turns nice and tight and close together and then just slide the needle out after. Both ekowool and braid are available at Oz vendors and the candle wick from ebay.
    Cheers
    Sodd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast