Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: "High End" mods versus clones

And, you don't have to necessarily spend big ("high end") to get better quality. For example I have among my small collection, a $50 mech mod and a $150++ mech mod. Neither are clones - both are built well yet the button is buttery smooth on the $50, while the other has a kind of graunchy, noisy clunking action. But it's serialized!! The more expensive looks a bit nicer, but if I were blind the $50 one would feel and seem the best.
    Jessamine likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    At most you are going to get an extra 10% performance out of a high end, low volt drop mod vs a clone, in most cases maybe a 5% performance boost.

Some of the "clones" are better than the originals for performance or at least as good as them.
    Good looks, buttery threading, good/great design & smooth operation of parts are what you should expect from a genuine product, clones may skimp a bit on costs & any one or more of those qualities may be lacking.
    At the end of the day though, if it's a battery holder with a switch & it holds the battery without blowing up, allowing you to vape safely, that's all you really need.
    What you want however may be something that looks nicer or screws together better, only you know what you want
    Quom, DEATHGUYJ and steve.c like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    At most you are going to get an extra 10% performance out of a high end, low volt drop mod vs a clone, in most cases maybe a 5% performance boost.

Some of the "clones" are better than the originals for performance or at least as good as them.
    Good looks, buttery threading, good/great design & smooth operation of parts are what you should expect from a genuine product, clones may skimp a bit on costs & any one or more of those qualities may be lacking.
    At the end of the day though, if it's a battery holder with a switch & it holds the battery without blowing up, allowing you to vape safely, that's all you really need.
    What you want however may be something that looks nicer or screws together better, only you know what you want
    even then its very subjective. theres a guy on the APV fb group doing comparisons of his clone sentinel vs many products hes got, nemesis, chi you, etc. the chentinel is edging ahead each time.
    TheDishD likes this.

I guess apart from the false economy of buying a cheap tool twice, and the intangible, but real difference between something made with skill to a standard vs. something knocked up as a widget to a price, there is also a broader moral issue at stake when it comes to clones:

It is quite simply theft to take advantage of the time, thought and capital invested in coming up with a new design - architects wouldn’t put up with having their designs ripped off, nor would musicians, software developers and so on, so I don’t see why mods are any different - but China is a law unto itself when it comes to intellectual property so the only way we have to discourage the practice is to say no to clones and let experience provide the lesson on false economy - it does astound me when you consider a PAD smoker is some $140 better off per week, that arguments of cost come into it at all.
    CMB, Vinny, Hoey and 3 others like this.

Mathsguy: 100 bucks is 100 bucks and is a lot of money to a lot of people. Just because they would have spent that on ciggies anyway doesn't mean they want to spend it on a real mod when they could keep it and buy the cheaper clone, and get the same vape at the end of the day.

Sorry if old mate in the Philippines didn't get 150 bucks out of me for a genuine sentinel, but it did not represent value for money to me when I can get the 18 dollar version instead. Isn't that how capitalism and the free market works?

If I could choose, I would have the original. But if I could choose between the original or the clone + 130 dollars cashmoneys.... that original would want to be pretty amazing.

The nzonic on the other hand, is totally boss. It may be that the clones out there have been rubbish (im looking at you sigelei 19) or that they weren't really clones in that they didn't work the same way at all... but either way, I will totally buy another nzonic when the next version comes out, but I will never buy a genuine sentinel v3 because at best its going to be a marginal improvement over the chentinel I have now.
    DEATHGUYJ, TheDishD and steve.c like this.

fad
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorsefkn View Post
    20 Watts on a 0.2 ohm coil means you are vaping at 2 volts.

nobody vapes 2 volts :P

Lets be realistic and say you are vaping a 0.5 ohm coil on a fresh battery and your kick ass clone mod deliveres 4 volts to the coil.

You are vaping 32 watts (like all the cool kids)
    While I did bash out a quick comment at lunch I don't think I was that far off..

Checks..

"...vape @ .2 Ohm and 20 amps ..."

Thought so.

4 volts @ .2 Ohms = 20 amps = blow-up-your-cheap-battery current draw.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorsefkn View Post
    Mathsguy: 100 bucks is 100 bucks and is a lot of money to a lot of people. Just because they would have spent that on ciggies anyway doesn't mean they want to spend it on a real mod when they could keep it and buy the cheaper clone, and get the same vape at the end of the day.

Sorry if old mate in the Philippines didn't get 150 bucks out of me for a genuine sentinel, but it did not represent value for money to me when I can get the 18 dollar version instead. Isn't that how capitalism and the free market works?

If I could choose, I would have the original. But if I could choose between the original or the clone + 130 dollars cashmoneys.... that original would want to be pretty amazing.

The nzonic on the other hand, is totally boss. It may be that the clones out there have been rubbish (im looking at you sigelei 19) or that they weren't really clones in that they didn't work the same way at all... but either way, I will totally buy another nzonic when the next version comes out, but I will never buy a genuine sentinel v3 because at best its going to be a marginal improvement over the chentinel I have now.
    That's EXACTLY the way I feel. Even with the nzonic.

i just like to buy mods that 1. Are small for their battery size 2. Have adjustable 510 connections 3. Have a reliable smooth switch 4. low voltage drop 5. can put it down without locking it 6. looks good . If it meets those requirements then i don't care if its a clone or the real thing.

I must admit I haven'd found many mods that meet the above requirements, and none of them were clones, but if i was aware of a clone that was as good as a paps lux or nemesis I would buy one
    HSV likes this.
    I have 50% Originals and 50% clones, am too lazy to try to change the world and bored with the whole debate

I'd imagine a lot of "high end" mods are probably machined on the same kind of chinese made CNC machines that the clones are made on. Some of the cheaper mods have flaws, but quite often it's something very simple like a dodgy spring, or switch, with a lot being easily remedied. Talking about mechanical mods and innovation in the same breath makes me chuckle too. Isn't the idea to keep it simple? Minimum moving parts. Robust, and reliable. IMO a Smok Natural, and a whole lot of others meet all those criteria.
    High end mods seem more sensible from a collectors point of view.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    I quite like my Smok Magneto, it does what it is supposed to, holds a battery. The magnetic switch means it can be put down without firing if you don't lock the switch, it looks good IMO & the switch fires properly.
    Another thing I like about it, which is not really a feature mentioned, is that in 18650 mode, being telescopic, there is a nice section to grip without the mod sliding out of your hand.
    One piece SS mods have a tendency to be sliders & if you don't grip them tight enough can slide out of your hand, especially if you add a bit of moisture from sweat etc.
    With the Magneto, if you are gripping the telescopic tube section & it starts to slide, the head of the mod catches in your hand, this means you can use a light grip with the magneto, something you can't do with a lot of mods.

It doesn't come with an adjustable pos pin but there are rumors of Smok bringing out a revised head, that will have this feature & there are ways to solve this by modding too.
    For a cheap Chinese "original" it is pretty good.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast