Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: "High End" mods versus clones

"High End" mods versus clones

Fudgeball has a Gus 22 for sale at the moment and I'm ummming and ahhhing.

Is a high end mod THAT much better than a chinese clone ?

My current stable is a Smok Telescope (V2), a Natural and a Sigelei 19b, all bought for around $40 each.

Is buying a $80 (FB's current price) going to give me twice the performance or is it really just a "prestige/namebrand" type situation.

With anything else I've never been a brandname/prestige sort of person. If it's good quality and works for me then why spend the extra?

I understand that there can be differences between quality and support but is a lot of it just smoke and mirrors and "wank" value?

Thoughts ?

(And please note I'm not having a go nor casting nasturtiums at those who love their high end mods with that last statement )
    Last edited by limbot; 22-08-13 at 12:06 PM.

AVF Regular
    No idea, really, although, as an owner of many 'affordable' mods, and an EPM, I have to say the difference is remarkable.
    Paradoxically, the EPM is revered and polished, and lives in one spot (my workstation), yet could take a real beating if I should feel like giving it one (which I don't). Because it's so special, I want to keep it nice, so it stays home.

On the other hand, I'm not so precious about my affordables, and they are treated with equal respect, and quite confidently, but are moved around the property and out and about constantly.
    Gresh11 and SUCKITIN like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Why do people buy European cars instead of Greatwall cars from China after all they just use them to travel from one place to another?

Why do ladies buy Louis Vuitton bags instead of no brand name bags that 10 times cheaper after all bags just used to carry things?

Similar questions to what you asked.

You can find the similar answers to those question... To cut it short, the quality, the design, the material used, the love when making those devices, the finish etc...

you aint gonna get twice the performance after all its just a tube with a battery in it. you may get twice the build quality like better threads, smooth switch, adjustable contacts and less voltage drop.

for me its really about buying from the people that actually have the innovation to create new products not the people that just mass produce lower quality copies. that is worth twice or more the price. if everyone keeps buying clones eventually there will be less mod designers and the evolution of vaping will suffer. then we will all be stuck using inferior copies of old designs.

i have bought a couple of clones when i started just to see if i like a mod or a genesis. but now i know what i want i save my pennies and do my research until i can afford to buy well designed, well build original hardware from the people that actually put the effort into creating their own products.
    mathsguy, Vinny, Hoey and 4 others like this.
    If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer!

AVF Regular
    Doesn't this come down to the value you place on things. If it has a great value to you, whatever that value is then its worth the cost.
    Some people value performance, some looks, some just go for the vibe of it. That's the great thing you get to decide go with what has the best cost/value for you

Mir
    Might be unfair of me to compare cheapies from fasttech to the Diablo hybrid, but the difference is remarkable. Its similar to buying a cheap watch vs one with a high grade jewellery finish; completely different. The threads are smooth, everything lines up and you can really see the attention to detail. It has less voltage drop as well. The difference primarily though isn't in the performance. Another analogy, similar to getting a decent headphone setup for $150 to get 90% of the sound quality, vs paying $1500 for a DAC, amp and high end headphone to get 95% quality.

As for worth it? That's up to you really. I'm a poor ass uni student with textbooks to buy, and I'd say it was still worth it for me

My fasttech mods are used mostly for testing juices with an RSST before being transferred to the Diablo.

AVF Regular
    Im a little biased as i just got my Chi-You clone from bronco's co-op... for the price just wow

Build quality is excellent, with silver coated pins out hits everything i currently own.... But it does make me want (even more) to get hold of a gen Chi-You, cause if the clone is this good the the real deal must be just outstanding...
    I think of clones as "try before you buy", plus being budget friendly.. not all clones are created equal some are total rubbish others are quality kit for the price...
    Noe, cruzmiguel, davee and 2 others like this.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

AVF Regular
    Speaking more about atties than mods,
    but I've never regretted buying a quality European piece that makes me happy every time I use it.
    I have regretted buying clones with poor finish, crappy threads and questionable seals.
    TheDishD likes this.

AVF Regular
    dunno about mods but my fasttech phoenix clone is working really well
    coal miner likes this.

AVF Regular
    in fact i'm using it more and more, what have I become ! an RBA dripper wanker !! ) so easy to rebuild.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast