Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Coils and varying resistance on different atties

Coils and varying resistance on different atties

I'm still pretty new to rebuildable drippers, I started on an IGO-W and then an IGO-L. My first coils were 5 wraps of 32 gauge, on doubled 2mm wick. I found with those, time after time, I was getting 2.2 ohms.
    Then I started doing 4 wraps, and consistently got 1.9 ohms.

Today I got a Trident, and did the same 4 wrap build as usual - and it came in at 1.7 ohms. I don't mind - I was wanting to get lower ohms (without going to shorter coils).

So do you find that different atties will give you different resistances with a similar coil build? Is it due to the materials being used, perhaps for example the Trident has less inherent resistance - or is it just a fluke ?

Super Moderator
    Tighter wrap perhaps?? Shouldn't be the material the atty is made from ...
    Robray and spurius like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Tighter wrap perhaps?? Shouldn't be the material the atty is made from ...

No, but it could be the way the coils are terminated. Maybe one setup is more efficient than the other??
    gtadmin and spurius like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Super Moderator
    True, but the IGO-x are screw terminated so should be good. The way to test it would be to use the same coil in both atties, twice. Compare the resistance for all 4 tests.
    spurius likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Thanks, maybe it is a tighter wrap. I did think about testing the same coil on different atties - but my eyesight is not that great and it's hard enough to get it all happening before the wires are trimmed off, don't fancy my chances now the wires are trimmed.

I have found that after giving a coil a few burns before using, the resistance will go up quite a bit - because the heat seems to loosen the screw connection. I tighten it back down and it comes right again. I've been too enthusiastic tightening before, and actually broken off the wire (in holes through post atties) because the screw has mashed the soft kanthal.

All part of the learning experience.

Super Moderator
    Test them before trimming the ends And ... my eyesight (and Rob's) is pretty crap too ... we wear loupes
    spurius likes this.

Test them before trimming the ends
    Doh. Genius!!

Might have to get a loupe. I'm still trying to pretend I don't need such things

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spurius View Post
    Doh. Genius!!

Might have to get a loupe. I'm still trying to pretend I don't need such things
    Good luck with that I got mine from fleabay for $6 delivered, and they work a treat - pity they look like crap. Rob bought a lot higher quality set
    spurius likes this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    pity they look like crap. Rob bought a lot higher quality set

You mean you check yourself out in the mirror while wearing them?? Who gives a s@#$. Agree not for wearing down to the pub!!
    gtadmin likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Test them before trimming the ends And ... my eyesight (and Rob's) is pretty crap too ... we wear loupes
    I purchased one of those hands free magnifying stands with led lights around the magnifier for my coil building...(just starting the fun)
    spurius likes this.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast