Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vendor for decent silica wicks?

Vendor for decent silica wicks?

I've been buying 2mm Silica wicks from VapeKing for the past 2 months and from time to time I guess a bad tasting silica that doesn't go after even after a full tank but sometimes I get good silica and the it gives off good taste even after the first pull. So I'm wondering if there's a vendor that's consistent with the quality of their silica that isn't overpriced.. I've noticed VapingCobra and their 5 meters for $4 silica but not sure of the quality.

Or is there a way to prepare the silica to ensure I get a good taste all the time?

Were you torching it before adding juice?

It's a good idea to torch the ever living shit out of it which will burn off anything that might be on the wick like oil from machines, your hands, and most other crap that could have got in it during manufacture, packaging and transit.

If you wanted to try something different vapersphere carry ecowool which is braided silica, and tends to hold together better, but it loves to fray at the ends. I recommend you wrap up the end bit with a few turns of silica and twist it tight to prevent fraying.

I am waiting for some to arrive so I can test the 3mm ecowool stuffed with 2mm ecowool theory as shown in this video

Helios-stuffed 3mm with 2mm ekowool 2 wrap gat wire - YouTube

Looks like it will solve the issue of 3mm ecowool going flat like a ribbon which makes it hard to wrap nice round coils on it.
    Meeuwsy likes this.

To prepare Silica... Torch, coil then dry burn...

spawn_8 and Meeuwsy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorsefkn View Post
    Were you torching it before adding juice?

It's a good idea to torch the ever living shit out of it which will burn off anything that might be on the wick like oil from machines, your hands, and most other crap that could have got in it during manufacture, packaging and transit.

If you wanted to try something different vapersphere carry ecowool which is braided silica, and tends to hold together better, but it loves to fray at the ends. I recommend you wrap up the end bit with a few turns of silica and twist it tight to prevent fraying.

I am waiting for some to arrive so I can test the 3mm ecowool stuffed with 2mm ecowool theory as shown in this video

Helios-stuffed 3mm with 2mm ekowool 2 wrap gat wire - YouTube

Looks like it will solve the issue of 3mm ecowool going flat like a ribbon which makes it hard to wrap nice round coils on it.

I've tried torching it once before and I noticed it goes black for the first few seconds then goes back to clean white, cleaner that pre-torch. However, the silica becomes very.. fragile.. it's MUCH easier to cut, not sure if that's suppose to happen.

When I say "torch" I mean just a jet lighter or stove top.
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 27-08-13 at 12:12 PM.

Okay, rebuilt a new wick.. torched the wick, coiled it, boiled, torched, boiled and it seems I've gotten most of the.. I'm going to call it plasticy taste, out of the coil. Seems like a LOT of trouble to go through to rebuild a coil, probably just going to use stainless steel mesh in my Protank and Mini when my mesh comes.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Vapersphere have great quality wick, the Bastos is good as is their Ekowool

Also make sure your hands are really clean
    Meeuwsy likes this.

i use ekowool from Vapersphere, i reckon its awesome
    Meeuwsy likes this.

Huh????

10 secs to torch, coil it, 10 secs to dry burn and away you go.

I certainly can't see any troubles with that. How long does it take you to oxidize the mesh wick, coil and eliminate all the shorts? Uhm.........

Quote Originally Posted by Meeuwsy View Post
    Okay, rebuilt a new wick.. torched the wick, coiled it, boiled, torched, boiled and it seems I've gotten most of the.. I'm going to call it plasticy taste, out of the coil. Seems like a LOT of trouble to go through to rebuild a coil, probably just going to use stainless steel mesh in my Protank and Mini when my mesh comes.
    davee, DEATHGUYJ and Meeuwsy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Huh????

10 secs to torch, coil it, 10 secs to dry burn and away you go.

I certainly can't see any troubles with that. How long does it take you to oxidize the mesh wick, coil and eliminate all the shorts? Uhm.........
    LOL, usually all I do with silica is just coil it straight no torching or boiling, but the flavour won't come out of this particular wick so I torched and boiled it a couple of times to see if it gets rid of the flavour. Unfortunately it still lingers..

I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if boiling does anything useful after you have already torched it, provided you torched it properly.

What you should be doing, is just coil it, get it into the position you want, then torch it while its on the device. It will go a bit stiff and hold its position after you do this, and also eliminate any nasties.

Its possible the plastic taste is coming from somewhere else... could a grommet be melting or something?
    Meeuwsy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast