Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lesson Learnt

Lesson Learnt

A couple of days ago, I received my first my first Genesis style atty. It came pre-built and ready to use. Now I have watched enough videos and read enough information to learn that it is best to clean it and maybe even rebuild it before using for the first time.

Before I did any of this, I wanted to make sure that it was working, so I wacked it onto my eVic and fired it up. It dry burned for a couple of seconds and then came up with atomizer short on the eVic menu. Now my eVic has done the same thing with my first Kanger Protank. With the Kanger, the first day it worked brilliantly, but after that, kept giving atomizer short warnings and would not fire. I updated the firmware on the eVic and that seemed to have sorted the problem.

Anyway, back to the genny. I tried various things, but could not get it to fire again. I thought as the SS mesh was clean, the problem may have been with a short in it. I was forced into rebuilding it quicker than I had intended.

I pulled it apart and gave everything a thorough clean; even though I didn't want to (because of what I have read about torching SS mesh), I torched it and proceeded to wrap it in 32g Kanthal wire. All done, wacked it back on the eVic and, you guessed it, atomizer short came up once again.

I spent the next hour rebuilding it again and again and trying various things, to make sure the problem was not with the construction of the atty, but still could not get it to work beyond a second or two here and there.

I then decided to wrap the mesh in cig paper to prevent any possible short; still it would not fire.

Anyway, yesterday, I received my second Genesis style atty; put it on the eVic, where it fired briefly and intermittently. At this stage, my wife was advising me of the errors of my purchase....

Now I wasn't really keen on putting a shorting atty onto another device, but thought, bugger it. So I wacked it onto an X6 and it fired beautifully. Righto I thought, I'll check the other one I built and surprise, surprise, it too works brilliantly.

So a lesson learnt here. I put the problems down to me not being able to wrap a coil, when it seems to be nothing more than a temperamental eVic.
    T7x likes this.

AVF Regular
    Never used an E-Vic, ( so if some one here has chime in) but how many wraps of wire are you using?, I think some mods have a safty cut off (1 Ohm), and some devices read this as a short?,
    TheDishD likes this.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular
    the eVic will not fire a coil under 1.0-1.1 ohms either, so if your coil under those ohms it comes up say atomizer short, its not shorting but it is under what the eVic can fire with its protected features. The same with SVD's Vamo's etc, my SVD will not fire anything under 1.2ohms it comes up with error code...
    Mushman and Omnipotus like this.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

This happened previously with my eVic. It would intermittently show atomizer short with my RSST, but my DCT tanks fire fine. After a while, everything shows a short. What happened was the insulator under the eVic's center post was giving up. I replaced it with a small o-ring and everything was fine again.
    Mushman and Omnipotus like this.

AVF Regular
    I dont own an eVic! I have to turn down the voltage to 3volt and make sure all the coils fire up at the same then slowly crank up the voltage on my Provari otherwise it spits out errors.
    I refuse to subsidize an economy that largely benefits the Chinese Commie Party and the so called People's Liberation Army, its relatives and friends. More like an oriental Mafia than a political party.

Karl Rand.

I tried various coil wraps, from 5, down to 2, got the same error each time on the eVic, so not sure what the issue it.

Banned (Never to return)
    Can u measure resistance with the evic? I can't remember if it has that function

Should do , try and measure your resistance before using any atty
    Mushman likes this.

Yes, it does, but it wasn't giving any reading, just coming up with short, the brief moments it worked, I didn't look at the display, so can't comment on its reading then.

Base pin contacting the body and earthing?

You mean on the atty Mushman?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast