Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By T7x
  • 1 Post By T7x
  • 1 Post By Meeuwsy

Thread: Bought a few wicking materials, now some questions.

Bought a few wicking materials, now some questions.

So I headed out to Northlands Shopping centre to pick up some wicking material and just had a few questions about them.

I bought;
    - 2 meters of 3.2mm 316 7x7 Stainless Steel Wire Rope at Bunnings Warehouse, about $4.40
    - 150 meters of Moda Vera 100% Bamboo Viscose Yarn from SpotLight, about $2.00. They didn't have 100% Cotton yarn in stock D= so I chose the other 'natural' fabric they had. But doing some Googling it seems safe
    - 200 Coles branded 100% Cotton Wool Balls, about $2.00

The cotton balls I'm sure are unbleached/undyed and the SS wire rope is not galvanised. This bamboo viscose though, I THINK it's dyed, it's got a colour number and dye lot ID on the tag, so was just wondering if I gave them a good 30 minute double boil would it make it 'safer'? And the SS wire rope being 3.2mm I'm not sure if it'll choke the wicking ability, it fits in my AC9 fine as the wick hole is 3.5mm. If I leave the fill hole opened should it be fine? Also, being 3.2mm does it take a LOT longer to heat up than the 2-2.5mm? Bunnings had 2mm wire rope but they only had a 30 meter spool for about $34.

On a different note, today I spent under $9.00 and I probably have enough wicking material to last a good 30 years or so LOL. If only Bunnings sold SS mesh, I was walking through the fly screen isle and I saw aluminium mesh and I was so happy thinking they MIGHT have stainless steel.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    From what I am told the dyed bamboo is not really usable regardless of how long you boil it. the rope should be fine with a large wick hole in your genny, infact it should be quite nice at high wattage, your wick doesn't have to really heat up, your juice does. but yeah you don't need to close your fill hole anyway...
    The 2mm would be good too you could always get that if you don't like your current one and make sure you torch the hell out of all that stainless.
    Annnnnd boil that cotton for half an hour too, I use the same one and it was oxidizing my juice too fast into a black sludge, boiled it and it was all good.
    Meeuwsy likes this.
    Do you know de way 👺

Quote Originally Posted by T7x View Post
    From what I am told the dyed bamboo is not really usable regardless of how long you boil it.
    Damn, looks like a no go for the bamboo then unless someone comes around with a link to somewhere stating it's safe I guess. Hmm I'll probably move down to 2.5mm some time in the future so it can be more versatile with other gennies, not all of them have a massive wick hole like the AC9, and yeah I boil the cotton balls for 15 minutes, take out rinse and boil for another 15 minutes. I do like 30 or so at a time and when they dry out I put them in a zip lock bag and into my box of rebuildable stuff.

Oh by the way, if there a certain way you dry your cotton balls? The way I'm doing it now is boil, take out, squeeze all the water out and then just let it dry out over night, but then the texture of the cotton feels more harder, not sure if I'm doing it wrong but still gives a good vape.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    I boil with 15ml of apple cider vinegar in the water for 30 minutes as it changes the ph of the wick, then I pour out all the water, tip the cotton buds onto 2 sheets of paper towel folded to be a double thick piece, wait for it to cool a little and squeeze it gently to get rid of the excess, if it's day time I sit them beside a window in sunlight, if it's night time I leave them on a new double thick paper towel spaced out well, they don't feel any denser to me.
    I also sandwich bag them and wack them into my vape toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by Meeuwsy View Post
    Damn, looks like a no go for the bamboo then unless someone comes around with a link to somewhere stating it's safe I guess. Hmm I'll probably move down to 2.5mm some time in the future so it can be more versatile with other gennies, not all of them have a massive wick hole like the AC9, and yeah I boil the cotton balls for 15 minutes, take out rinse and boil for another 15 minutes. I do like 30 or so at a time and when they dry out I put them in a zip lock bag and into my box of rebuildable stuff.

Oh by the way, if there a certain way you dry your cotton balls? The way I'm doing it now is boil, take out, squeeze all the water out and then just let it dry out over night, but then the texture of the cotton feels more harder, not sure if I'm doing it wrong but still gives a good vape.
    bikam0wz likes this.
    Do you know de way 👺

Quote Originally Posted by T7x View Post
    I boil with 15ml of apple cider vinegar in the water for 30 minutes as it changes the ph of the wick, then I pour out all the water, tip the cotton buds onto 2 sheets of paper towel folded to be a double thick piece, wait for it to cool a little and squeeze it gently to get rid of the excess, if it's day time I sit them beside a window in sunlight, if it's night time I leave them on a new double thick paper towel spaced out well, they don't feel any denser to me.
    I also sandwich bag them and wack them into my vape toolbox
    Hmm, I'll try it again, first time I boiled and dried came out harder and more clumped together. But I'll try the paper towel thing to see if it works.
    T7x likes this.