Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Inconstant cont. discharge amp of AW batteries.

SLR vaping with AWs

I'm taking some precautions cause I KNOW that sometime in the near future I'll be venturing into .4-.7ohm coils, probably even duals.

So I did some research on AW batteries and it seems that every thread I go on there's a different C rating and discharge rate for those batteries, I've read that 490/500's can do 15amps cont. and I've heard that they do 8amps. Although, majority of the threads I read says the 18350's do 6amps and the 18650's do 10amps so I'm guessing 18490/500s should only be doing 8amps.

But anyway I'm asking here so I can reply to the answers if I don't understand completely. If anyone could please give me a rating for these batteries it'd be greatly appriciated;
    AW 18350 IMR
    AW 18490/500 IMR
    AW 18650 (200mAh) IMR. Can't find the 1600mAh anywhere, probably discontinued.

If the highest AWs can go is 10 amps then I guess I won't be able to run a 0.4 ohm coil and 0.5 ohm is probably stretching the limits. Not even going to risk using Efest batteries at sub-ohm, going to save those for the regulated stuff.

If nothing pops up that helps I'll probably just get some MNKEs from AV to be completely safe with their supposed 20 amp continuous discharge rate, $15 a pop not including shipping for a 1500mAh battery, what a drag. But I'd rather feel safer vaping sub ohm than having a battery blow up.
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 04-09-13 at 05:55 PM.

Ooo or those Sony US18650VTC3 30amp discharge.

AVF Regular
    Huh I use AW IMR 18350 for sub ohm coils and have no issues....
    Meeuwsy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bugzme View Post
    Huh I use AW IMR 18350 for sub ohm coils and have no issues....
    Ahh right, well I just like to be safe haha, also apparently the MNKE and Sony battery hits harder than the AWs, and they're cheaper too.

Would you go .4ohm dual on an AW 18350? It'd probably only last like an hour or something... but yeah..
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 04-09-13 at 10:05 AM.

.4ohm dual coil? on 18350? i think it would have struggled to vape longer than an hour on 1 coil

get this instead, should last you whole day

$13.62 Panasonic NCR18650PD 18650 3.6V 2900mAH Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Meeuwsy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx View Post
    .4ohm dual coil? on 18350? i think it would have struggled to vape longer than an hour on 1 coil

get this instead, should last you whole day

$13.62 Panasonic NCR18650PD 18650 3.6V 2900mAH Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I was thinking about that for quite a while, but I'm probably gonna start off with 1 MNKE or 2 Sony to make sure I have sub ohm down properly then move onto the Panny. Using regular Efest 350 and 650s right now at .8-1.2 single seems fine.

yeah im using pany cgr for 1.0 to 1.1 and it's fine. im setting myself up for dual coil/wick for kraken and ordered that ncr. sony has also got 30amp, but it's 1600mah which i figured will probably only last slightly longer than half a day with that config

btw those 10amp batteries should be good to push until 0.5ohm anyway

Quote Originally Posted by silverx View Post
    yeah im using pany cgr for 1.0 to 1.1 and it's fine. im setting myself up for dual coil/wick for kraken and ordered that ncr. sony has also got 30amp, but it's 1600mah which i figured will probably only last slightly longer than half a day with that config

btw those 10amp batteries should be good to push until 0.5ohm anyway
    Ahh true I guess.. 0.5 ohms on a freshly charged battery is barely at 8.5 amp but have a short and it'll probably shoot way past 10, not sure what would happen when you break a battery discharge limit but I guess it's a small chance.. Especially on RDAs, pretty hard to short those since everything is in full view.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeuwsy View Post
    Ahh true I guess.. 0.5 ohms on a freshly charged battery is barely at 8.5 amp but have a short and it'll probably shoot way past 10, not sure what would happen when you break a battery discharge limit but I guess it's a small chance.. Especially on RDAs, pretty hard to short those since everything is in full view.
    on rda you would have used silica so yeah pretty small chance to short

Hmm, after reading around more it seems that vaping is only 'burst-fire' and not continuous draws like flashlights and RC cars use, so theoretically you could use an AW in like a .2ohm coil as long as you don't take like 10 second draws and chain vape, not 100% sure, just going off what I read. Either way I'll probably be sticking to 0.5, 0.4 at the lowest single and dual coils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast