Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: HK post screening for batteries - Delays in Shipping

AVF Regular

HK post screening for batteries - Delays in Shipping

saw this today - big bummer as i have a couple of packages with batteries on the way from asian sellers - i wonder what happens now?

"10 September 2013
    Delay In Outbound Air Mail Services

To safeguard aviation security, Hongkong Post does not accept the sending of air mail items (including Speedpost) that contain dangerous articles such as perfumery products, lighters and lithium batteries. Hence, all mail items entering the Air Mail Centre are subject to x-ray screening. Recently, there is an increasing number of air mail items detected to contain suspected dangerous articles, in particular, lithium batteries, which lengthens the screening process. In this connection, air mail registration service, iMail service and Bulk Air Mail service may be subject to delay. Any inconvenience caused is much regretted."

Hongkong Post - Notices - Delay In Outbound Air Mail Services
    jen and Omnipotus like this.

AVF Regular
    gee! does that mean my batteries from fasttech will be taken away?
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    porkchop read below they'll be delayed and sent back to vendor - announcement from fasttech

HK Post: Delay In Outbound Air Mail Services (10 September 2013): FastTech Forums

big tobacco flexing its muscle? i'm not surprized about the batteries and honestly that was bound to happen, it has been illegal to ship batteries like this for years and the fact they have been doing it against the law and that has brought this whole thing to a head is frustrating. I wonder if that will effect an order from healthcabin for unflavored Nic? that would REALLY piss me off.

I believe DHL will still ship batteries, as will fedex $$$

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    it has been illegal to ship batteries like this for years and the fact they have been doing it against the law

Yes quite correct, however, the issue is that they can be shipped on dedicated cargo flights, not as cargo on passenger aircraft. As mentioned, DHL, and Fedex run their own flights. Free shipping outfits have to run with passenger aircraft.
    margyb likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

This will certainly affect Fasttech's business model in the short term.

Not to mention this personally sucks, as I was just about to place a large order tonight; I will now have to think of alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Yes quite correct, however, the issue is that they can be shipped on dedicated cargo flights, not as cargo on passenger aircraft. As mentioned, DHL, and Fedex run their own flights. Free shipping outfits have to run with passenger aircraft.
    i'm aware of that, it was the union for passenger aircraft that caused the stink to begin with; more than the fact they carry passengers. the law was created because of passengers breaking the rules, unsafe packing or unsafe goods initially afaik and thus any business that also shipped with passenger aircraft had to follow the same rules.

given it screwed with my business customizing and modifying ipods I have first hand experience. I simply had a package bounce back from Sydney (it was supposed to be going to Hawaii) i'd been paid for the job, no warning, just informed at the counter I couldnt ship my package. shipping by fedex at short notice meant the job actually cost me money, negative profit. even Fedex from here require mounds of paperwork and you are only able to use certain services. I simply deleted these services from my overseas menu as it became impossible, I couldnt be competitive.

they are shipped with fedex under the same restrictions as explosives, weapons or medical waste and there is a rather small limit on the capacity (W/h) DHL coming from Asia are pretty reasonable and much less restrictive.

they havent adjusted their policy for LiFePO4 either, which are very safe vs lithium ion, they are treated the same, which is stupid.
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 12-09-13 at 08:56 PM.

looks like i'll be removing some batteries from my cart from this order, il be trying again later but not while the heat is on
    eteach likes this.

what batteries are you after? I can source unprotected A123 in Au, you might also look at hobbyking of courese, these look pretty decent, but have not used in a MOD, current capacity should far outstrip what people will use here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast