noob rebuilding protank/evod coils

Hi I'm trying out my first batch of rebuilds and had some general questions. I've read heaps of post and watch some videos including microcoil rebuild.

I've found that using cotton wool balls the flavour seems muted but everyone seems to rave about using cotton. I'm using 6 wraps of 32ga kanthal for the coil and seem to have lost heaps of flavour. I tried using the same method but used 3mm silica instead ... more flavour than cotton but still less than the standard coil.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I'm thinking that for the cost of the replacement coils I might just stick to standard replacement coils.

AVF Regular
    What device are you vaping it on? 32AWG is pretty high resistance and if you're on an ego battery might potentially not be heating enough. Although if you've put silica in and it vapes normally that might somewhat discount that (since cotton seems to be fine at a lower voltage).

Did you fire the coil with no wick in it? I'd be interested if it glowed a really bright/almost white red?

So yeah, my best guess is that you need more volts to properly fire the resistance of the coil you've built.

My experience is the opposite heaps more flavour with cotton and way way more vapour, which takes some subjectiveness out of it. If the vapour isn't there I'm guessing on a bad build or too high a resistance.

Edit. You could also potentially have choked it if you stuffed in too much cotton.

AVF Regular
    yes probly too much cotton in your coil and not a hot enough coil you don't want the cotton firmly packed into a kanger coil otherwise it can't wick enough for the way it works I use a micro coil made with 30g at 1.5 ohms and loosely packed with cotton

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

Thanks guys. I'm using an itaste, and tried various settings from 7w to 8.5w. Getting heaps of vapour but not much flavour. I'm using organic cotton, not boiling it though. Tested the coil beforehand and it glows bright red quite quickly. Also tried in vv mode from 3.7v to 4.2v ... again heaps of vapour but muted flavour. I'll try again with less cotton and see how I go.

PS, I'm not boiling or treating the cotton at all before using it. Straight from the packet.

AVF Regular
    Some people do have issues with cotton though so it might just be your taste. The same way some people can taste carto filler or silica. On cotton I can taste something that's like having a tissue in my mouth but only on the aftertaste.

Perhaps you're right. I kinda feel like the stock replacements give the best flavor, even after washing and dryburning I reckon the flavor starts diminishing, frech stock coil seems to work best for me. I've tried 70/30 PG/VG 8mg nic and 90/10 PG/VG 0 nic with the same lack of flavor results. Throat hit sucks with no nic

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Quom View Post
    Some people do have issues with cotton though so it might just be your taste. The same way some people can taste carto filler or silica. On cotton I can taste something that's like having a tissue in my mouth but only on the aftertaste.
    same here. Getting that taste even during vape. Cant stand it. Still prefer my ecowool. Clean flavor and i can constantly dry burn it and still stays intact.

AVF Regular
    i have a protank, got some evod coils by accident, they work fine, but very hard/impossible to get air tube thingy back on after a rebuild.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    Have a look in the micro coils thread, micro coils in a protank is an absolute win.

Sent from my LT29i using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    Do you know de way 👺