Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: mAh Testing Method (request, not how-to...yet)

AVF Regular

mAh Testing Method (request, not how-to...yet)

Greetings Gentle AVFers,

Sitting here looking at a colour coordinated eGo setup, wondering how to test the real capacity of the battery.
    I bought this device from somewhere online, as one does, for a few reasons;
    • Size and capacity, it's the same size as 900mAh eGo battery, yet it's rated at 1300mAh
    • Colour, it's the exact colour of a few of my juices, various melon flavours, and we all like colour coordination eh?
    • Size again, it fits in the pen pocket of my suit jacket, great for out n about during the day as one of the 5mods I'll carry on my person day to day.
    • All up, with a 2.5ml tank and plastic drip tip, the overall weight is quite low.

So, regardless of the actual capacity of the battery, it works for me as one of the pocket mods for train/meetings/lurking/etc in the city.
    BUT, I got to thinking, how will I test this thing for actual mAh capacity?

[cricket noise]

Nope, nuffin, no idea at all that isn't the work of days building geekery just to satisfy the idea.

Any ideas folks?

Might be a few ideas worth following up on this thread, Any Easy way to test battery capacity (Mah)?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by necro View Post
    Might be a few ideas worth following up on this thread, Any Easy way to test battery capacity (Mah)?
    Some good ideas there.

Issue being being an ego circuit the auto out after x seconds, and turn off if fired x times within x seconds.

Prompts me to think of using my ECD Meter + Serial to USB convertor + mechanical device to fire it 1S on, 1S off, or any repeatable cycle and just suck the data into excel and plot the discharge path.

I havent pulled apart an ego yet and am not familar with there circuitry,Is there a way to easiily pull them apart and Bypass the circuit? I mainly work on 75-90 arcade and pinball pcb's and get quite lost with anything SMD.

Shame no one has written an App to do this,I know there are apps to measure battery power on mobile phone/Ipad thingys

AVF Regular
    I could pull it apart, but the circuit is part of the overall device (efficiency, losses etc), and the ones I give a slight damn about I'd rather not pull on my Pugsley clothes and junior disecting kit.
    necro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    I could pull it apart, but the circuit is part of the overall device (efficiency, losses etc), and the ones I give a slight damn about I'd rather not pull on my Pugsley clothes and junior disecting kit.
    Damn you mr gruffy,I can see myself pulling apart one of my ego's in the next week,hehehe...I will keep an eye out for you when trawling through the electronic forums,You could ask the guys over at the EEV forum they are electronics engineers and would probably know how to do it in their sleep.EEVblog Electronics Community Forum - Index

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by necro View Post
    Damn you mr gruffy,I can see myself pulling apart one of my ego's in the next week,hehehe...I will keep an eye out for you when trawling through the electronic forums,You could ask the guys over at the EEV forum they are electronics engineers and would probably know how to do it in their sleep.EEVblog Electronics Community Forum - Index
    Thanks, I'll consider that, if they let me back in there. There was a little ruckus when I got heated about the travesty where Tesla isn't given his due, and that fraud and idea thief Edison and his appalling DC transmission plot.
    OHHH, and DON"T START ME ON negative v positive, GRRRRR that burns me up.
    Robray, mrsgruffy and necro like this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Shame Tesla isnt still around to build a few Vaping box mods!!
    mrsgruffy and MrGruffy like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Shame Tesla isnt still around to build a few Vaping box mods!!
    He wasn't responsible for the Tesla? But it looked so good......

AVF Regular
    I've tested a few. Case by case on how to do it as there are many variations with ego batt circuitry.
    A few 510 connectors and bits of wire / multimeter etc.

Some chargers / ego combo's charge non stop without the led flashing (continuous charging). You can determine the charge rate and estimate capacity by charge time (consider saturation phase at end). But that would be like watching paint dry.

but the best one is you can trick most of them into direct drive. You have an ego charger connected to the battery with wire in between via a M/F 510 soldered to wire rig. Connect a hobby charger in parallel.
    Start the charge from ego. Start the discharge from hobby charger. Disconnect the ego charger and it direct drives off the internal battery all the way.

On some models, you have to do the other way around and charge with hobby charger. Other models, different method again but usually a way around. (warning, this could wreck the battery circuitry)

I have found most of them to be near their stated rating (for the internal battery), If you run them boosted or bucked, the 'apparent external capacity' (don't know how to word that) varies accordingly.
    Robray, gtadmin and MrGruffy like this.
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast