Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Microcoils on Cotton. Black wicks, tainting tank flavor

AVF Regular

Microcoils on Cotton. Black wicks, tainting tank flavor

Hey Gang,

So I have had my Kayfun Lite for about 3 weeks now and I am loving it!!!
    i did order some 2mm Ekowool from vapersphere, but have been unsuccessful at making one of them figure 8 wicks so am sticking to the cotton.

Question: How often do you guys replace the cotton wick and clean/dry burn the coils?
    Does your juice factor into your mileage?

I have gone through 60mls of Fancee Juice Meesetrack Macchiatto and find myself changing wicks after 3-5 tanks.
    Sometimes the whole wick has turned black, and the black tends to leak into the tank, darkening the juice and making the whole tank taste funky.

Before I realized this was happening I drained the KFL back into my juice bottle tainting the whole bottle lol (lucky it was only 10ml).

What at causes this black wick?

doesnt always happen, and other times the juice tastes real bad, but the wick hasn't gone black. So I'm not sure what to look out for.

Anyways, all outta the MT Macchiatto.

Now I'm vaping a clear juice. FlavourArts concentrate Watermelon at 5% 40/60 PG/VG.

I'm hoping this clear juice doesn't have the same issues. (Downside is it taste nowhere near as yummy lol)

Keen to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Cheers
    kev

AVF Regular
    Just give it a rinse and dry burn when it starts tasting a bit funky. I'm still on my first coils after about 6 weeks with both my kfs

actually closer to 8 weeks
    magick81 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've gone through a few coils though it's usually due to wrecking them while pulling the cotton back out lol.
    The fact that you are still on your first coil after 6 weeks is impressive.

On a plus side, my coil making is improving each time and my latest is at 1.0 ohms.

How often do you change your cotton??

My cotton wick gets black with some juices, particularly dark coloured or sweet ones. I change them daily, but I've mastered the art of getting them out without wrecking the microcoils. I think my coil is a month old, or more. Not using Kayfun though, only a lowly RSST.
    magick81 likes this.

Super Moderator
    I change cotton wicks daily in my dripper. If you're wrecking the coil removing the wick, don't you have too much cotton in there?
    studiovape and magick81 like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by magick81 View Post
    I've gone through a few coils though it's usually due to wrecking them while pulling the cotton back out lol.
    The fact that you are still on your first coil after 6 weeks is impressive.

On a plus side, my coil making is improving each time and my latest is at 1.0 ohms.

How often do you change your cotton??
    Cut the cotton close to the coil and it will slide right out, pretty much replace my wicks after every tank or two in my kayfunseses.
    magick81 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've had cotton last 3-4 days in my bf atties, never disturb the coils when changing If you use 28g or 26g and even 30g if as has been said you have the right amount of cotton in there. Every now and then after a dry burn I'll fire coil release button and quickly squeeze the coil together with pliers a few times to keep the contact coil contacting nicely, same with my non bf drippers.
    Can't be bothered with my Russian atm because I want to pop the hood without having to empty my tank. Bottom feeders Reo style all the way for weeks now. I have my AGaT/Paps hybrid setup with a micro and cotton, but it rarely gets much use even though it is singing with a 1.5mm micro and a medium length cotton wick.
    gtadmin and magick81 like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Presume you're lovin' the MT Macchiatto magick81?

I don't pack much cotton in microcoils and they slide out easily. Change at least once a day and there is always residue on the cotton no matter which juice.
    magick81 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    I've had cotton last 3-4 days in my bf atties, never disturb the coils when changing If you use 28g or 26g and even 30g if as has been said you have the right amount of cotton in there. Every now and then after a dry burn I'll fire coil release button and quickly squeeze the coil together with pliers a few times to keep the contact coil contacting nicely, same with my non bf drippers.
    Ditto, although I'm using 30g ...
    magick81 likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    In my bottom feeder atties I change the wick almost daily, I vape primarily steeped tobaccos. I've had this coil rocking for two weeks, I just pull the wick out, dry burn a little, shove new cotton in and off I go for another 6-10mls.

Cotton isn't as durable as silica, especially when you're vaping darker juices, chocolates and tobaccos destroy it from my experiences
    gtadmin and magick81 like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast