Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PH Tester, Suitable for low volume of liquid

AVF Regular

PH Tester, Suitable for low volume of liquid

Another WTB, or rather a request for where I can source a good PH tester that will allow me to test small volumes, say 1-2ml, of liquid.
    Accuracy better than or equal to .1.

Strongly prefer recommendations based on personal experience, especially with regard to the low volume capability.

Edits:
    Digital of course
    Low volume = small sample size
    Last edited by MrGruffy; 29-09-13 at 01:09 PM.

AVF Regular
    There are plenty of diy pH meters about that are inexpensive.
    The trick is, although they are good when you first get them, they have to be very well maintained. You can't just put them away and use it again later without going through a bit of a procedural fuss.
    You need buffers, storage soln, acids and alkaline soln to store / clean / calibrate / maintain etc.

They become sluggish very quickly and take a bit of technique and trouble shooting to come good. Sometimes you have to plan a day ahead to get them working properly, (re-hydrating, cleaning , calibrating etc)

I'll have a dig around later today and see what I can find, I suppose if they are inexpensive enough, you could skip most of the fuss and almost use it as a disposable item.
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

I use those PH test strips. Not sure if they are accurate enough for you though?
    PH Litmus Test KIT Paper Urine Saliva Acid Alkaline X 80 Strips LC235 | eBay

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by supersports600 View Post
    There are plenty of diy pH meters about that are inexpensive.
    The trick is, although they are good when you first get them, they have to be very well maintained. You can't just put them away and use it again later without going through a bit of a procedural fuss.
    You need buffers, storage soln, acids and alkaline soln to store / clean / calibrate / maintain etc.

They become sluggish very quickly and take a bit of technique and trouble shooting to come good. Sometimes you have to plan a day ahead to get them working properly, (re-hydrating, cleaning , calibrating etc)

I'll have a dig around later today and see what I can find, I suppose if they are inexpensive enough, you could skip most of the fuss and almost use it as a disposable item.
    I found some fasttech items for $12, nearly disposable for the $ however offensive chucking something that works but needs care.
    I also found some lab quality items for around $1.2k, a little more expensive than I had planned.
    For the sub $40 items, I'd probalby bunch items for testing into one time for efficiency.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by davee View Post
    I use those PH test strips. Not sure if they are accurate enough for you though?
    PH Litmus Test KIT Paper Urine Saliva Acid Alkaline X 80 Strips LC235 | eBay
    While I like the certainty of a digital readout for this sort of stuff, the strips on your link may be worth using to give a rough gauge of PH to determine whether to get out the lab coat and start cleaning and calibrating the digital thing.
    davee likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yes, +1 for litmus paper and +1 for forgetting about fussing around with digital pH test gear. You'll get better long term accuracy with less fuss and for 1% of the cost.

The MOST accurate is a titration test of couse, and I believe you already have a burette?
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    I found some fasttech items for $12, nearly disposable for the $ however offensive chucking something that works but needs care.
    I also found some lab quality items for around $1.2k, a little more expensive than I had planned.
    For the sub $40 items, I'd probalby bunch items for testing into one time for efficiency.
    Just get some pH buffer soln so you can check the meter before using
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yes, +1 for litmus paper and +1 for forgetting about fussing around with digital pH test gear. You'll get better long term accuracy with less fuss and for 1% of the cost.

The MOST accurate is a titration test of couse, and I believe you already have a burette?
    Yep, that ebay battery guy has helped make our backroom look more lab-like. It's getting a bit of use lately as well.

Quote Originally Posted by supersports600 View Post
    Just get some pH buffer soln so you can check the meter before using
    As above, getting into appropriate habits with preparation, having the stuff at hand and knowing what to do and how makes it easy.

Just by the way, for anyone reading this that ever has the question "I wonder how much nic my juice has?" I thoroughly recommend SS600's Nic Testing kit from his ebay shop. RTFM a few times, then get control of another aspect of your vaping.
    supersports600 likes this.

i'll ask Scott Wurcer at Analogue Devices about evaluation boards that would be suitable if you like? its interesting you bring Ph up, as I was thinking last night when MrsG was talking about the safety of vaping essential oils that Ph would be the main area of concern, is this related to that topic? I would err on the side of caution more than your boundary pushing wife hehe.

Scott designs predominantly high end instrumentation/Mil spec grade amplifiers and sensors for AD and is a brainiac in general (among many others he designed the AD797, which is still pretty much the highest performance opamp available more than 10 years later) interesting and very helpful guy who is now in a very senior position there, yet highly involved in the product line, so if they make anything he should know. are you up for modifying an existing eval board, or knocking up a PCB? I seem to remember you are pretty DIY/tech savvy.

Retired Account
    Cumulonimbus... so far I've only seen one ingredients list of what's in a commercially available flavour, and it contains about 4% of essential oils. None of the flavours I make have more than 2%. That makes mine twice as safe as at least one commercially available flavour!

The PH test is for my gardenias!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast