Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By coopz

Thread: burnt tasting coil :(

AVF Regular

burnt tasting coil :(

Hey guys im new to coiling and ive just recoiled my protank coils. I torched the crap out of them before i put them in there but am getting a slight burnt taste undertone. Its came out at 3OHMs and im vaping it at 3.5volts on my provari. The vapor isnt quite there either, its ok but not the usual clouds i get with a new protank coil. What am i doing wrong?

I had the same problem, I couldn't fix it because there was nothing to fix.
    But with your's, are the coils wrapped in close contact (but not too tight?)
    When you dry fire it, are there any hot spots (parts that instantly glow red, parts that glow red way way before the rest of the coil does?) If so, that is the problem.

If not, then you are in the same boat as me.

edit: 3.5 v is a little low for 3ohm too, maybe it will work itself out at a higher voltage? That is if the coil has good wick contact and there's no hot spots.
    Last edited by coopz; 02-10-13 at 10:32 PM.

AVF Regular
    thanx coopz. I didnt dry fire it. And i mistyped there its actually 2OHMs. I thought if i dry fired it it would stuff the coil up?(newb) You say you couldnt fix it? So you dont bother recoiling them anymore? I got the wick and wire pre wraped 10 pack from Fasttech if that makes a difference.

Only did my first one a few days ago for fun. Have plenty of spare factory coils, so I just put the home made coils on the back burner until I need them (maybe next year or if I get a RDA or RBA before then). It was just because I was bored really, I'm a n00b too.

Yeah you need to dry fire it, you need to do that with coils while cleaning them every week or 2 weeks anyway. It won't harm the coil or silica wick (don't do it with cotton wicks).
    After building a coil, test it with a multimeter to make sure it's not shorted (you could probably use the provari for that - I just have ego twists) then dry fire it without a cap so you can see how the coil glows, watching out for hotspots etc.
    If all good, only then assemble and fill.
    Every 7-14 days you have to clean the coil/clearo, dry it, dry fire it to get the crud off, rinse it again and dry again just as a part of general maintenance anyway.
    Vapination likes this.

when I dry fire the coils, I keep doing it until all the vape and smell are gone including those dark spots on the coil just before it's ready again (tough for me to see sometimes)...

I just wish I have one of those magnifying glasses when building the coils...it would make my life easier

Just be careful when dry firing the coil over a long period cause it will over heat the tank base and the battery which may not be a good sign...

Chao...
    Last edited by Vapination; 02-10-13 at 11:09 PM.

AVF Regular
    How tight did you wrap around the silica? If it's too tight you will choke the wick, same if you have too much wick packed in the hole. Can't advise on a good amount to use as I use cotton wool.

AVF Regular
    When I coil I oxidase the wire with lighter and moisture with water on wick and burn to the points where the new coil turn red before using with liquid.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    thanks for the advise guys.If you do a dry burn and clean the factory coils can you prolong their life? I think the dry burning issue is related to the lack of vapour and burnt taste. ! protank coil lasts me about 3-4 tanks then i have to replace it, thats why i got into coiling in the first place. How long do the coils usually last you guys?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Quom View Post
    How tight did you wrap around the silica? If it's too tight you will choke the wick, same if you have too much wick packed in the hole. Can't advise on a good amount to use as I use cotton wool.
    Hey Quom, I got a 10 pack of wicks and wire pre-wrapped from Fasttech. The wrapping looked ok not too loose or tight. I didnt try to adjust it. Its the first time i tried one of these pre-wrapped coils(or any coil).