Genesis Style Atty Setup

Just got the Smoktech RSST. I built the coil with 400 mesh and 3 wraps of 28 kanthal( came out to 0.9Ω). Setup after watching pbusardo using the pulse method. All appears OK but it takes a long time to heat up. I have to chain vape about 6 times to get a half decent puff. When i have the cap off it appears to work the same as others i have seen. I have rebuilt it three times and still the same. Even tried some more wraps(1.3Ω) and used it with a kick but still the same problem. I have dilled the air hole out to 5/16(bit too far but i dont have smaller drill bits)

I was using AW 18500 batteries. I have two Sony 10A 18650 on the way.

Any help to set it up to get clouds would be very appreciated. I have trawled through many forums and pages and can't find any good info. From what i can tell it is setup very good. Attached is a picture of the coil

Coil heats OK too, no hot spots
    Attached Images Attached Images

AVF Regular
    ok, from past experience,

1. your battery if stuffed.
    2. you are getting too much voltage loss from your mod.

You should have a pretty much straight away heat up with 0.9ohms. Oh btw, you might want to check your coils. 28g 3 wraps is usually around 0.6, so you might be shorting sometwhere. Then again i could be wrong because the wick hole size for rsst it very big, means bigger wraps then your normal.

Battery may be stuffed. It works fine with a kick and boge cartos. I will try the new batteries when they arrive.
    I measure the battery volatage at 4.21V then measure at the 510 connection and get about 4.19V(I think pretty good). The mod is a chi you. Also tried it on my everyday K100 mod and the same problem.(Didnt check the voltage drop on the K100)

Where are spots it can short. It does get a bit messy with e liquid after use around the wick area

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    Battery may be stuffed. It works fine with a kick and boge cartos. I will try the new batteries when they arrive.
    I measure the battery volatage at 4.21V then measure at the 510 connection and get about 4.19V(I think pretty good). The mod is a chi you. Also tried it on my everyday K100 mod and the same problem.(Didnt check the voltage drop on the K100)

Where are spots it can short. It does get a bit messy with e liquid after use around the wick area
    Voltage drop generally occurs when you are applying load on the battery... (EG you have a 1.5ohm atty, and fire it on a mech mod, generally you will see it drop down to 4.0-3.9v on good devices, whereas some can drop down to 3.8-3.7v on bad devices.

AVF Regular
    Measure the voltage at the posts while activating the bottom switch (firing) to determine your voltage drop on a device at the specific ohms you have set on your atty.

Edit: what monage said - beat me to it!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_renesis View Post
    Measure the voltage at the posts while activating the bottom switch (firing) to determine your voltage drop on a device at the specific ohms you have set on your atty.

Edit: what monage said - beat me to it!
    LOL by a good 14 mins too! :P

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
    LOL by a good 14 mins too! :P
    Kids had just woken up so had to help the mrs. and left the page open. Gimme a break man I'm running on 3 hrs sleep!

AVF Regular
    how old is ur battery? it doesnt matter whether your battery is fully charged or not. It might not hold it enough to fire anymore. Try it with a new battery.

I am reasonably new to rebuldables as well..I suggest taking your juice out and check for hot spots..you will need to take wick out and torch this before hand as well,if no torch just light the wick the juice should all burn off....just fiddle a lil bit with the coil (carefully with something like very small screwdriver )fire then fiddle etc ..when all hotspots are gone then put juice in and it should hopefully work ok..besides battery that is all I can suggest..oh and check and recheck that screws holding coil are tight...Hope this helps you out..
    someone will probably be along soon to say I have it all wrong though
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

Turn off the flash, fire it and then take a pic. Might help us to diagnose your problem. With the flash its hard to see anything.

Try taking the atty apart completely and reassembling it. That coil should be smoking it up big time.