Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stepping down in SS wire rope size, have some questions.

Stepping down in SS wire rope size, have some questions.

Been using 3.2mm stainless steel wire rope from Bunnings for the past month or so and I'm finding my AC9 being WAY too hot after a while from the wire rope retaining it's heat, so I'm planning to move down to a 2-2.5mm wire rope and just had some questions.

I had a look through Bunning's wire rope selection from like 3 different stores and it seems they only stock two different kinds which can be used for vaping; the 3.2mm which is like $1/meter and the 2mm only comes in a spool of 30 meters at $30.

Couldn't find a 2.5mm selection, so was just wondering if anyone has used both 2mm and 2.5mm and if you prefer either. The only place I've found 2.5mm is HERE at like $1.20/meter and ~$11.50 shipping, SOOOOO I could spend a little over double that and get a 30 meter spool of 2mm and sell what I don't need on the classies here or something, if anyone is too lazy to go to Bunnings. But the problem is I don't know if 2mm is TOO small and won't wick fast enough, so if anyone has had experience with both and could shed some light on the situation.

AVF Regular
    Just open up a 30metre roll, cut off a metre and tell the lady at counter is 3.2, easy

Quote Originally Posted by kostanz View Post
    Just open up a 30metre roll, cut off a metre and tell the lady at counter is 3.2, easy
    I was thinking of doing that haha, but you need the receipt that the Bunning's employee gives you saying how much they cut and how much a meter costs but I guess I could just watch how they cut it, wait till they leave and cut the 2mm one.. lol, but going to wait on some input on the 2.5mm rope.

AVF Regular
    Try going to a boating place,they have all sorts of gauges of ss rope but you may have to bring your own callipers,if you want some 2mm stuff pm me you're address and I'll send you enought to last a while.cheers
    GirlyPantz and Gresh11 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddosh View Post
    Try going to a boating place,they have all sorts of gauges of ss rope but you may have to bring your own callipers,if you want some 2mm stuff pm me you're address and I'll send you enought to last a while.cheers
    That would be great, if you can't find the time to mail it out then you don't have to worry about it, I'll PM you my address in a bit though just in cause. I have a question though if I may; Did you already cut your wire rope to size, if so, how long did you cut them?

I reckon a piece of ~45mm wire rope would last me over year from what I'm reading on forums, every once in a while just take it out and give it a quick torch, but it'd be weird to just mail out 1 piece inside and envelop however that would be more than enough for me or at least until I get my own supply. But anyway, just want to thank you so much for your generosity.
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 06-10-13 at 08:11 PM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    If you give me exact size your after I can cut it for you as it sucks to cut without cable cutters but can be done with snips and tape just not aus neat.there's no reason this won't last for years,just torch or boil then it's good to go again.Will send it in envelope on Tuesday.cheers
    GirlyPantz and Meeuwsy like this.

I use 2mm 7/7 Stainless Wire from Bias Boating and it works great for me.

... lurkin' and a likin' and a learnin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Toddosh View Post
    If you give me exact size your after I can cut it for you as it sucks to cut without cable cutters but can be done with snips and tape just not aus neat.there's no reason this won't last for years,just torch or boil then it's good to go again.Will send it in envelope on Tuesday.cheers
    If you want to be precise then 43 will do just fine =) Thanks a lot once again.
    Last edited by Meeuwsy; 06-10-13 at 08:47 PM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bikam0wz View Post
    I use 2mm 7/7 Stainless Wire from Bias Boating and it works great for me.
    2mm sounds great but was thinking of 2.5mm cause the AC9 wick hole is 3.5mm I believe, and 2.5mm is the closest sizes other than the 3.2mm which I already have and the 2mm that Toddosh is going to send me, I might check out some boating stores if there are any in Melbourne for some 2.5mm, worst case I buy from AllThingsStainless for $1.20 + $11 shipping.

AVF Regular
    I use the 2mm in my AC9 and I have never had an issue
    GirlyPantz and Meeuwsy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast