Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cotton Wick - Wowsers

Cotton Wick - Wowsers

I've had heaps of issue with stainless mesh wicks with my RSST. Coils keep blowing randomly, getting hot spots no matter what I seem to do. Used batteries, torching everything multiple times, pulsing....nothing seemed to work. Just built a normal size coil (around a small screwdriver, about 4 winds) , ended up with a 2.1 ohm coil, threw some cotton down the coil and hole and voila. Great vapor, great taste. Easy peasy.......

Much easier than mesh, even easier than silica......

Microcoil next
    Last edited by limbot; 09-10-13 at 07:31 PM.

Cool, good work. Thats why I've turned to RBA's silicas, less hassle.

Might get my Genies out for a spin of that kinda thing, soon.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    Do this mate.
    2mm micro coil and make a cotton u wick.
    Just have to twist some cotton up, put through the coil, trim the ends and poke them in the holes. Just don't make the tails too long or they will suck up all your juice and it will leak everywhere. Trust me!
    Opdeemist likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Turned my AGA-T into an auto-dripper with cotton wick, works awesomely!

Also you don't get the problem ssstahly is mentioning, because there is virtually no wick in the tank with my build, there is just enough in the wick hole to reach into the top of the tank, I can fully fill the tank & it won't over wick.

See the thread here: AGA-T converted into Auto-dripper with micro-coil
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    Do this mate.
    2mm micro coil and make a cotton u wick.
    Just have to twist some cotton up, put through the coil, trim the ends and poke them in the holes. Just don't make the tails too long or they will suck up all your juice and it will leak everywhere. Trust me!
    Bud can you take a side shot showing the length you cut the wick, please?

Ah yeah just thought its an RSST isn't it, its not transparent. Don't bother how far down do you have your wick going? Half way, 2/3's .....?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Opdeemist View Post
    Bud can you take a side shot showing the length you cut the wick, please?

Ah yeah just thought its an RSST isn't it, its not transparent. Don't bother how far down do you have your wick going? Half way, 2/3's .....?

Only enough so that you hold it up against the light you can only just see the wicks. pretty much so they go in the holes just enough so they won't fall out when tipping.
    All you need to do then is give it a tilt here and there to keep it wicked.
    Also worth drilling out you hole just a little bit, but remember it will probably make it whistle a little.
    Opdeemist and oznewbie like this.

Wow thanks for that mate, brilliant.

Nice looking coil by the way. Have you tried this setup with some 90 % VG (thicker) juices the likes of Boba's? Does it wick well also?

AVF Regular
    Wow thanks for that mate, brilliant.

Nice looking coil by the way. Have you tried this setup with some 90 % VG (thicker) juices the likes of Boba's? Does it wick well also?
    Nah I haven't tried over 50/50 but I can't see it being a problem. Maybe tip it for a few secs more often and don't make the cotton too thick in the coil or wick holes.

Cheers mate.
    My coil was wrapped around a 2mm nail. Then squeezed in pliers and heated up with torch. Once wrapped heated again and squeezed.

Best thing is, you can change the cotton really quick, even out and about.

Yeah nice, Ive made a few micros with cotton now myself but only on a TaiFun GT. i have quite a few Genies laying around because I was having too many issues with the wick & coils (hot spots, dry hits etc...) was getting sick of the metallic taste after every dry hit so went back to silica rba's.

You and Limbot have now given me food for thought. I will definitely give these a try on my Genies.

Thanks for your feedback and pics mate. I do enjoy a good slide show.....(maybe showing my age)

AVF Regular
    Yeah nice, Ive made a few micros with cotton now myself but only on a TaiFun GT. i have quite a few Genies laying around because I was having too many issues with the wick & coils (hot spots, dry hits etc...) was getting sick of the metallic taste after every dry hit so went back to silica rba's.

You and Limbot have now given me food for thought. I will definitely give these a try on my Genies.

Thanks for your feedback and pics mate. I do enjoy a good slide show.....(maybe showing my age)
    Haha your welcome mate. Hopefully the genies get dusted off now. I'm only now just going from genies to silica RBA's.
    So much fun (or frustrating) this is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast