Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Tobacconist e-cigs. Beware!

AVF Regular

Tobacconist e-cigs. Beware!

So I'm sure everyone by now has seen Tobacconist's selling e-cigs. I was surprised to see one with an ego style battery with a clearo including a charger in a blister pack for $30. I thought, hey why not? My bro is after one so for the price it's worth a crack. Got it home, plugged it in the charger and within 2 mins a horrid smell filled the room with a melting charger unit on my hands. Could it have been worse? If the power had of reached the battery would I have had a mini bomb on my hands? Questions I will never know but one thing is for sure; I'll be taking it back with a refund and they can stick a replacement cause I ain't interested. Lesson learnt, beware of imitations and the uninformed tobbaconist...
    Noe, GirlyPantz, JenJ and 1 others like this.

That's scary but there's a lot of crap being sold on the market. I'd b interested to c after u return to tell the tobacconist what happened, what he chooses to do. Will he take them off the shelves or continue to sell them knowing they r faulty and could b dangerous.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

AVF Regular
    This happened to one of my brothers about two weeks ago. He's not into vaping but his mate runs a tobacconist and gave him an ego type battery with a stardust. My idiot brother plugged the USB charger into a 240v supply and nearly blew his hand off. When I found out that's what he meant when he said "vapes aren't for me. I stuffed it." I lost my mind at him.

His reaction? "Well that's crap. No vapes for me, I'm off to buy some smokes."

User error in my brothers case. People need to be careful
    spud likes this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    This happened to one of my brothers about two weeks ago. He's not into vaping but his mate runs a tobacconist and gave him an ego type battery with a stardust. My idiot brother plugged the USB charger into a 240v supply and nearly blew his hand off. When I found out that's what he meant when he said "vapes aren't for me. I stuffed it." I lost my mind at him.

His reaction? "Well that's crap. No vapes for me, I'm off to buy some smokes."

User error in my brothers case. People need to be careful
    I'm confused? He pluged the usb into a wall socket?....or something else? Just trying to understand cuz it sounds like something I'd probably do. I didn't realise you needed a Electricians licence to vape, when I first started I was gonna happily charge my 510s with the my ego C charger until someone here suggested it wasn't a good idea.

Now I'm scared to do anything without checking in case I blow my face off, lol!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    I'm confused? He pluged the usb into a wall socket?....or something else? Just trying to understand cuz it sounds like something I'd probably do. I didn't realise you needed a Electricians licence to vape, when I first started I was gonna happily charge my 510s with the my ego C charger until someone here suggested it wasn't a good idea.

Now I'm scared to do anything without checking in case I blow my face off, lol!
    That's all got me a little confused now too. I've been charging mine with my ego USB charger plugged into a mobile phone USB plug putting out 5v with no problems at all. You're saying I shouldn't be doing this? Isn't that the same as the wall plugs sold by all the vape sites? Not that I 100% trust the ego usb charger (or my electrical knowledge for that matter) but why did it happen with the store bought charger but never (so far) with the ego charger?

are you sure this actually happened JenJ? sounds completely weird, I have no idea how you would even go about plugging on of those chargers into 240v, youde have to smash it and somehow bodge up an adapter, in which case your bro has bigger issues than smoking looming in his future for early death sounds more like a really badly thought up story/lie that might be used to excuse continuing smoking. (hey i'm sure we've all done it)
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 15-10-13 at 10:03 PM.
    Rynxa likes this.

AVF Regular
    I just harassed him. This is what happened and how I got confused

He grabs his samsung phone charger wall socket plug, inserts USB and plugs it into the wall. Subsequently melts the ego charger and heats the battery.

His story yesterday? "I plugged it into 240v and blew up the charger." I asked him just now wtf? how is that even remotely close to what you actually did? his reply?
    "That's what comes out of a wall right? 240v?"

Nevermind that a samsung charger is regulated down to what? 4 or 5v?

So the further clarified story of my idiot brother: Uses phone plug to charge ego. Melts charger and nearly pops the battery. Proceeds to confuse the crap out of me.

Edit here:
    Yeah dead set, if you gave him a mech+RBA he'd blow his lower jaw off.
    Noe and spud like this.
    Words are fun.

AVF Regular
    This is my point. My phone charger is regulated down to 5v, the input of the ego charger is 5v. I have had no problem charging my battery with the ego branded USB charger but...the tobacconist model melted almost instantly! (exactly the same input printed on the tobacconist charger by the way).

AVF Regular
    Well there you go Rynxa, I thought it was perfectly fine to plug your usb into a phone charger wall socket, thought I'd read on here more than once that people use their iphone charger for their egos?

It's really amazing that there isn't more of this sort of thing happening with all the techno gadgets everyone has, charges, docks, and all kinds of stuff I have no understanding of. But maybe I'm just particularly dense about this kind of thing?
    Rynxa and natstar like this.

AVF Regular
    probably the same dodgy stock.

I do seem to recall when I was using egos that 3.4v was what the plug I had was regulated to. I am confused now

I guess I'll expand here:

It is HIGHLY unlikely that what the tobacconist dudes are stocking is legit Joye or Vision ego batteries. There is at least some quality control there.
    As vaping takes off more of these cheaper dodgy bits of gear will float around, remember those stories in the US about batteries left unattended while charging blowing? It's not the best thought to have realizing that some random person here in Australia could be making headlines because of dodgy gear and an iPhone charger.

Even with proper gear things fail. Li ion bats go critical because there was a fluke short somewhere and they became overcharged, or the cell failed after being dropped on a weird angle. Or even legit egos going KABOOM randomly. It's happened.

Gotta be conscious of your gear. I hope having cheapo stuff like this floating around doesn't wind up doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by Rynxa; 15-10-13 at 10:34 PM.
    Words are fun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast