Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Battery Charger that will not create indent's in the negative terminal

Battery Charger that will not create indent's in the negative terminal

Hi All,

Currently I run 3 chargers,

1 x nitecore intellicharger i4
    1 x nitecore intellicharger i2
    1 x Soshine SC S7 (single cell fast charger with LCD readout).

When using the nitecore's I have noticed my efest 18490/18500/18650 and AW 18490/18650 start to have an indent appear after a month or so from the spring loaded action of the charger.

This does not seem to occur for 18350's.

The soshine is the best out of the bunch, not because it charges faster or because it has an lcd, it's because it does not create an indent in the negative terminal with use.

I have been using the soshine for charging some of the more expensive or harder to get 18650 batteries (MNKE, Orbatronic). However it is limited in that it can only charge one at a time and most days I use 2-3 18650's, particularly with high drain applications with dual or quad coil builds.

I looked at the Xtar VP1 charger but it seems to have the same spring loaded mechanism. as does the EFEST LUC 2 bay.

After noticing the problem I started putting a flat magnet to prevent the indent but that is not a very safe practice when charging unattended, nor is it relaly what I want to do everyday to charge batteries without this indent.

Can anyone recommend a battery charger (not from fast tech) that will not create these indents? I'm not concerned with cost as long as it does the job!

I don't believe it is my mods causing the indents as I have used my MNKE's that are charged by the soshine only in the same mods and for much longer periods over the past few months without the negative pin/bottom firing mods creating the indent.

I know for the green and grey panasonics they tend to create this indent as part of their design, but they cost peanuts compared to AW or MNKE IMR's

AVF Regular
    Trustfire TR001.... works a treat for me ... but yes there is a ring on the bottom of the batts, not from charging or from the spring in the mod... its just shiny in the middle and somewhat scuffed/matt looking around the outside edge maybe 1-2mm... but it doesn't look like a dent... maybe the centre is just shiny from constant use, i dunno

FWIW I only use the Red AW IMR's

Just looked at my newest batts and they have a dull finish but you can see where the polishing is starting
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 22-10-13 at 08:14 PM.

AVF Regular
    I have an efest luc , not experienced any problems with it.

AVF Regular
    I get marks on the bottom of mine, too, but like gp says, I think it's from the spring in the mods more than anything else.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by soth View Post

Can anyone recommend a battery charger (not from fast tech) that will not create these indents? I'm not concerned with cost as long as it does the job!

I don't believe it is my mods causing the indents as I have used my MNKE's that are charged by the soshine only in the same mods and for much longer periods over the past few months without the negative pin/bottom firing mods creating the indent.

I know for the green and grey panasonics they tend to create this indent as part of their design, but they cost peanuts compared to AW or MNKE IMR's
    Don't know if it is safe or not, how about a small washer between the neg and the post

Is it actually affecting the performance of the batteries though, or is it just the aesthetics that aren't pleasing?

Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    Is it actually affecting the performance of the batteries though, or is it just the aesthetics that aren't pleasing?
    Unfortunately no the aesthetics play no part.

Eventually I am unable to charge the batteries with the nitecore as it gets so bad the spring loaded clips are unable to make contact as the indent is so large. In these cases I use a 2cent for safety fuse that goes on the negative terminal. That then bridges and allows for a charge. When it does get to that point if its an efest I just dispose of it at the local council, however when I'm spending nearly $20 on an AW IMR from local vendors or MNKE's from OS I kind of expect it to last longer than an efest.

I also do not want to keep throwing them away when they are not at the end of their life (still charge fine just as fast, same mah read out and voltage read outs from the soshine, same drain rate as the day they were first used (ecdmeter4tw).

They are the only thing I've ever used the 2c for safety fuses on after I got past my noob phase.

The majority of my stuff just doesn't need the safety feature due to hot springs and my knowledge of what happens when a short occurs (the signs of it) and because I keep an efest fireproof bag next to my desk which is where I spend the majority of my day (working from home).

I also heavily use several kick 2's which already has the feature built in.

I might do a hunt around online

Quite a few of my all day mods are capacitive touch and don't have a mechanism in the base that would cause this sort of ident.

Even those charged exclusively with the soshine and then used with a bottom firing mod do not have the ident (regardless of brand).

It may be the nitecore is contributing to the indent in conjunction with bottom fired mods.

I'm starting to consider spending heap of money on 4 x soshine chargers for my 18650's so that this will not hppen. and call it a day.

The soshine has a square contact that slides left and right depending on battery size if anyone's interested, all it needs to do is lightly touch the contact and it charges and uses no pressure like a spring. If I could find a 4 or 6 bay with that same sort of slide system I'd have found my perfect charger
    Last edited by soth; 22-10-13 at 09:50 PM.
    GirlyPantz and supersports600 like this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Hi soth

I am running two Soshine chargers with various 1800 series batteries and have no issue with Indents in the negative end of the cells. For my mind, the issue has to be with the Mods you are using them with. I am not saying this as fact, but I am as interested as you to find the cause as It may affect me at some point in time!!! I know the springs in my chargers wouldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding and I consider myself fortunate there is any contact at all. I have the series one and two of the Soshine Chargers and they are both "Mixes" which means they charge most lithium cells.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Yikes!, now you got me looking at all mine,I have the intellicharger i2.
    My CGR18650CH's seem to have a slightly raised centre, and have been the longest in use, probably charged 20 or so times--just bright light scuff marks-no damage or indents
    My Pana NCR18650PD's with the semi circular indent have a definate small nipple in the centre--no scuffing or damage at all.
    My Pana NCR 18650B's-slighly smaller nipple in centre have some light scuff marks-no damage or indents

Woops-missed the 5's in description
    Last edited by Saxien; 23-10-13 at 01:53 PM.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    I have been using my JetBeam Interllicharger i4 PRO for more than 12 months now & Using Panasonic Grey CGR18650CH batts or Sanyo 2600mah 18650's to charge in it during the time I have had it & I just checked all of them, none have any indents.
    It is spring loaded on the neg end but none of my batts are showing signs of what you are reporting here.

Perhaps it is because of the shape of the neg terminals or perhaps it is because the springs are not wound up as much or a combination of both?
    In any case, I am not having the same problem as your are with the Nitecore chargers.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast