Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By avtek
  • 1 Post By Shadzy

Thread: maintaining EVODS

AVF Regular

maintaining EVODS

Just a quick one, guys.
    How/when should I be clewaning my coils, any tips, tricks and anything of the similar sort for EVOD's?
    And how can I tell when a coil has had it?

AVF Regular
    Hi Shadzy, good to see you've dived into the vaping thing.

When coils get gunked up they start tasting funky, and the draw gets tight, vapour production and flavour goes down the drain..in a kind of perfect storm of vape fail.

There's loads on youtube about cleaning and dry burning coils, but I'm sure some who's not as lazy as me will come along and explain how.

AVF Regular
    shadzy - im using evods a lot lately with an mvp2 and with the smallest egos for stealth vaping - i think its really good if you get a pack of the 1.8ohm coils so you can swap them out as needed

like jenj said after a while the draw gets tight and the vapour gets thin - or they start gurgling or spitting juice back into yer mouth so you know you have to swap out the coil - for me it happens every 2 or 3 days depending on how gunky the ejuice is

i usually soak them in boiling water when i first buy them - sometimes i also soak them in vodka too and then rinse them before sititng them on the top fan area of my computer to dry - i do this cos ive found they taste really foul straight from the factory

okay so when ive used them for a while and i feel like the coil needs a clean i soak them in hot water out of the kettle til the water cools - then cook em in water in the bowl in the microwave for a minute - then soak them in vodka over night and next day rinse them and put them up to dry on the computer

i think its important to have a few coils that u can do all at once otherwise its a pain

i do this when there are a few to do - say 3 or 4 and they turn up like new

i dont really dry burn them until ive been using them for a long while

ps - i hate using the 2.4 ohm ones - i only use the 1.8ohm coils with the little egos
    Last edited by avtek; 30-10-13 at 01:10 AM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for that, Avtek!
    Is there a disadvantage to dry burning early in the coil life or do you just prefer not to do it?

And Jen, progress is well, manage to have success since my Nicoticket order arrived! If my banner has worked you'll be able to see for Yourself!
    JenJ likes this.

If you're not winning, you should be learning from loss.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzy View Post
    Thanks for that, Avtek!
    Is there a disadvantage to dry burning early in the coil life or do you just prefer not to do it?
    just my own laziness - i start dry burning when i feel the soaking and boiling isnt rejuvenating the coils enough - it would probably be better if you dry burned as well tho...

I dry burn them very often, it won't affect the coils life at all...it's just burning off the excess juice residue. As for the parts, I find a rinse in hot water is fine...and if you're changing flavours I let the tank soak for 5-10mins in hot water to get rid of the old juice smell. I also substitute the standard wick for cotton and increased fog but that's just me.

I'm not sure gurgling is a sign of the head's life as I find these things gurgle a bit unfortunately. I've tried all the 'tricks' to rid them of the-gurgle, to no avail.

AVF Regular
    don't learn to rebuild them with vertical micro coils and cotton. Standard head on my new T3S just doesn't cut it.

In all seriousness, recoiling them is a piece of piss and dirt cheap.

That's what i love about them.
    Standard, they are not the best, I prefer top coils like iclears for flavour especially when tobacco type juices.
    Generally the evod suits sweet flavours, and non tobacco types. Because the flavour is muted somewhat and it's a very airy clearo anyway. Good for high in VG (anything more than 40% VG) for a lot of vapor.
    But the greatest thing about them is making your own coils. Easy to make a contact micro/nano coil with cotton wick etc. Seen some vertical coils with packed cotton cartomizer style recently too.

Don't dry burn them at all.
    The worst thing about evods (and other BCC kanger products) is the rubber seal directly below the coil. It burns easily, and ruins the flavour from the head.

I hear the new kanger BCC will have a silicone grommet.
    I also hear people cutting a bit off their evod grommet when rebuilding, so less likely to burn (or just to cut the burnt bit off)

I also read that AGA insulators can be used. Someone linked a US site, don't know if anyone local sells them AGA Series Positive Post Insulators - 10 pack - Kidney Puncher

Also some UK forum linked to some generic types available on ebay from HK too, never heard the end result, and the link is dead because the sale has ended, but just to give you an idea what to look for:
    AGA135 CISS Accessories Seal Elbow Sleeve 5pcs | eBay

I prefer my iclears for most things, even though it's a tight draw it is full of flavour (noes bewdy, kritikes redox, and other tobacco/cigar flavours).
    But I love my evods for fruit/drink/dessert flavours and just for their rebuilding/customization ability (the iclear heads never get rebuilt, they get tossed when they are beyond help, OTOH - no hassles dry burning and cleaning them as they don't have a rubber grommet close to the heads like BCC kangers)