Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Singo
  • 2 Post By fad
  • 1 Post By Quom

Thread: RBA faq

RBA faq

Hi guys,

I was trying to find stickies for RBA, but could not find it, does it exist?

Pardon my absolute lack of knowledge, but here's what I want to know:
    1. Once built, how long do they last before needing rebuild? (Other than simple cotton swap)
    2. Do they sell any built ones so we do not have to build it, my electrical knowledge is close to nothing, but I do want better flavor.
    3. How do you know which RBA is better than the other?

Thanks

1. Depends on the type of juice you're using and the build itself. Also depends on how much you use it. There are a number of variables and sometimes it comes down to personal preference. I tend to give my gennie coils a couple of weeks before I rebuild them unless I am using NET based juices which gunk up the coil very quickly.

2. You can buy pre-made coils for a lot of things but it really takes the fun and the ability to customise your vape in the first place. Pre-made wick and coils can be of dubious quality depending on where you buy them.

3. Personal preference and mainly comes down to how well you build your wick and coil. They're all shit if you build shit wicks and coils!

My advice would be to get an IGO-L and a Smoktech RSST and start playing with those. Two of the easiest RBA's to build for beginners and they are both good quality. Watch youtube vids, ask questions and play around. Once you actually play around with them, all the other stuff becomes easier to understand.
    Toddosh likes this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    There are 3 main styles of rebuildable:

1) RDA - Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. Example: IGO-L
    These are essentially a small bowl with a coil & wick on top. Designed so that you drip liquid onto the wick and vape.
    Good: lots of clouds, easy to change flavours, easy to coil/wick (depending), cheap
    Bad: you have to drip/carry a juice bottle with you, some leakage

2) RBA - ReBuildable Atomizer - Genesis Style. Example: RSST
    Take the RDA, punch hole(s) in the bowl and mount it over a tank. That's a genesis. You can use lots of different
    ways to get the juice from the tank up to the coil including cotton, cotton thread, ss rope, ss mesh, etc etc.
    Good: lots of clouds, lots of liquid, relatively easy to coil/wick, cheap (ish)
    Bad: don't lay them down, they'll leak

3) RBA - ReBuildable Atomizer - Chimney Style. Example: Russian 91%, Kayfun
    Take an RDA then put a chimney above it and put a tank around the bowl. That's Kayfun style.
    Can be wicked in as many ways as the Genesis'
    Good: minimal leakage, great flavour
    Bad: can be fiddly to coil/wick, can be expensive

So which is better depends on your needs.

I don't get as large clouds on my Russian 91% as others running Genesis' can, but then
    I can stick mine in my pocket. But then if I want to change flavours it's a hassle compared
    to those running RDAs.

Each category has good and bad examples. Think of how you're likely to be using it then ask for suggestions.
    Oscillate Darkly and gerzzzzz like this.

Thanks guys, very helpful.
    But honestly, it looks way too technical for me, the last thing I want is to do something wrong and causing more harm than any good.

If I am getting either IGO-L or RSST, do I need to buy anything else or I can use them as it is?

AVF Regular
    I just got an Igo-L, never used a rebuildable or a dripper before, so its all new territory for me. Took me about 5 mins to make the coil, wasn't a good coil (2.9ohms) but it worked and didnt blow up my Vamo. (tested it on a ego batt first though). It came with one small piece of silica wick and enough wire to make a coil, plus a couple other spare things. I also ordered extra silica wick and kanthal, don't think what you get with the device is gonna be enough First thing I did though was watch PBursado's review of the Igo-L, he also shows his way of building a coil, he really has a knack for explaining things so that dopes like me can understand So yeah maybe have a look at that video and see what you think?

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

atomizer rebuild - YouTube I found useful so far and rededdit has a great section on 'blowing clouds' worth the visit. If you look it up on rededdit they also have some helpful stickies

for the Igo-L get some silica wick probably about 2 mm or 3mm in thickness I would say get some 30 Gauge kanthal wire as well I found it easier when I started usually about 5 wraps of 30 gauge kanthal will give you around about 1 om

if you go for the genesis RSST you can also use a silica wick and the 30 gauge kanthal wire or most prefer to use stainless steel mesh with the wire for a wick I would probably start with about #325 ss mesh the mesh size really depends on what ratio your pg and vg are in your juice like blackdog said watch a few of PBursado's videos good for figuring out how to build it

AVF Regular
    dual coil ss mesh wick rocks in genesis rba, takes a little longer to setup, but once setup, you never have to touch it for at least a few weeks or months.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    I just got an Igo-L, never used a rebuildable or a dripper before, so its all new territory for me. Took me about 5 mins to make the coil, wasn't a good coil (2.9ohms) but it worked and didnt blow up my Vamo. (tested it on a ego batt first though). It came with one small piece of silica wick and enough wire to make a coil, plus a couple other spare things. I also ordered extra silica wick and kanthal, don't think what you get with the device is gonna be enough First thing I did though was watch PBursado's review of the Igo-L, he also shows his way of building a coil, he really has a knack for explaining things so that dopes like me can understand So yeah maybe have a look at that video and see what you think?
    Probably better off testing a coil on your Vamo, it has built in protection. If you have a short you can kill an Ego battery.

I'm not at all dexterous, my handwriting is illegible, it takes me 45 minutes to wrap a present and I seriously failed cut and paste at school. Building coils really isn't that hard (at least for me) genesis style with steel wicks annoy the shit out of me as does anything requiring resistance and non-resistance due to adding more things that can short. But wrapping coils on silica or cotton is pretty easy.

Even microcoils are fun, it's just wrapping a piece of wire around a screw driver. I think the internet just makes it sound harder trying to make themselves and their hobby sound more skilful.

My advice would be to start with a cheap dripper rebuildable with a nice sized deck to practice on. If you enjoy that either stick with it or personally I'd move up to a chimney style rebuildable. Genesis is just too fiddly for me, plus the whole not being pocket-able.
    Bliksem likes this.