Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arth_d

Thread: Stepping into the world of rbas and gennies. Need some help

Stepping into the world of rbas and gennies. Need some help

Hi all. Thought I would try my hand on some rbas and gennies. After reading quite a few threads on here and ecf and watching stuff on you tube I'm confused as all hell :P. Anyways if you don't ask the questions you'll never learn so here goes.

Simple questions first, Mesh, wire and wick. I got a few rba and genies coming. I'll do most of my purchases through vape king as it stocks all the bits and bobs I'm after. I know this is very open ended but as a beginning point

1) will I need any more wires then 28g and 30g kanthal (to start trying out with)

2) mesh #400 only to begin or should i get other grades as well?

3) i'm getting wicks from Soth's co-op ( Cotton Co-op (Sterile Wool, Organic Cotton). Expression of Interest list ) so I should be fine for wicking material?

Batteries. Ok the slightly stranger questions. I've got a provari mini. Got extension caps on the way for 18650 mode. I'll be trying to keep the atties at 1.1ohm plus resistance. I know the provari should cut out if I short the rbas or the draw is too high. However I read that the best batteries for rbas on the provari were : MNKE IMR 18650 batteries (due to being able to build lower resistance atties on it).

4) So the best batteries for a provari would be which battery?

Now to the really dumb questions. So not understanding exactly how a kick worked I thought you could stick a kick into a mech and happily vape away on a sub-ohm coil ... ok I now know I'm an idiot but with a couple of mechs on the way I want to prepare for them. By putting a kick into a mech I realise I get a vw device (which defeats the purpose of a mech and has quite a few drawbacks to a regular vw/vv device). At a latter stage I might try out rbas direct onto mechs then maybe try sub-ohm vaping. For now "what I want" is to stick a kick into my mechs to get a regulated wattage and a somewhat safer vape. My questions are:

5) I've got a couple of kicks coming from fasttech. Should I use them or should i just can them and buy the original from VK and only use that?

6) With certain batteries you can get as low as 0.9ohm resistance atties running on this setup (not saying that I will go that low but a bit of headroom is always good). For this setup which batteries should I get for my mechs (18650 and 18500 batts)?

All and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Dec

AVF Regular
    If you wanna keep the resistance up it will be easier with the 30g wire
    coopz likes this.

Yeah 30g kanthal.
    I've bought some 32g, 30g, and 28g
    From my limited experience, the 32g is for clearos, the 30g for micro contact coils in drippers, the 28g is only good for gennys where you have more room for more wraps, or are looking for a 1ohm or lower coil.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by coopz View Post
    Yeah 30g kanthal.
    I've bought some 32g, 30g, and 28g
    From my limited experience, the 32g is for clearos, the 30g for micro contact coils in drippers, the 28g is only good for gennys where you have more room for more wraps, or are looking for a 1ohm or lower coil.
    sorry to correct u. 28g for micro coils is best. 30g 3wraps around ss mesh wick will get u 1ohm resistance.

AVF Regular
    i use 28 on my gennies with 4 wraps. Dunno what the ohms are never check.

AVF Regular
    0.8-0.9ohms 4 wraps 28g. used to be my setup as well. Then i got lazy wrapping 28g coils as it was thicker and stiffer then 30g. SO far, for me i think 32g twisted 3 wraps seems to be the bomb

Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    i use 28 on my gennies with 4 wraps. Dunno what the ohms are never check.
    As above, I tried 4 wraps on a kayfun clone last week and it was about 0.7-0.8 ohm.
    6 wraps is about 1.3 ohm, just did it then for fun. e: on a genny, not the kayfun clone, would never fit
    Last edited by coopz; 11-11-13 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by urecia View Post
    sorry to correct u. 28g for micro coils is best.
    For me it's harder to do. Less bendy, more chance of uneven coils.