Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By Apoc

Thread: Mod/Atty pairing

Mod/Atty pairing

Hi all

Curious on your thoughts on the pairing of mods with various atomisers.

I've just really impressed myself with an RSST sitting on top of a Sigelei ZMAX.

Got an SVD the other day which I like the look of, but moving the RSST onto the SVD I got a different experience (been swapping back and forth between the two but am preferring the zmax). Running both in VW mode, both set at 10 watts, there's some TH on the zmax but none noticeable on the svd, flavour seems noticeably better on the zmax but exhaled amounts seem similar.

Thought ok, maybe battery charge is affecting things so swapped batteries as well as atty, very slight change but still preferring the zmax for TH and flavour.

Is it normal to get better results from the same atty on one mod compared to another?

Cheers

Super Moderator
    What you are probably experiencing , is not so much a difference in atties or power, but in HOW different mods apply that power .
    Most of the common Chinese VV/VW mods employ PWM ( Pulse Width Modulation ) to vary the power/voltage .
    How this works is based on AVERAGING of a constant output at X amount of cycles per second .
    IE if a mod for instance outputs a 6v pulse , and you set it for 3v then it is ON for 50% of the cycles, and OFF for the other 50% .... now in your mods the switching can be as low as 30 Hz or 30 times per second ... so therefore it gives 15 X 6v ON pulses and 15 X OFF pulses per second ,to give an average of 3V ( RMS is a different algorithm ) but the principle is the same ... so if a Mod cycles differently to another mod . i.e. it has a different frequency ... this will give slightly different characteristics to the heating of the e-liquid .
    This is why some mods like the provari are different , they output an actual filtered Voltage change that is relatively constant so if you set it for 3.4V it delivers 3.4V without any major pulsing .
    On my Anyvape CVI which has the same circuitry as a Zmax I can hear it "Rattlesnaking" ... the pulses are actually audible and it sizzles like a rattlesnake

eg a zmax pulse seen on an oscilloscope

In this case it is in RMS mode and you can see the duty cycle means it is firing for 74% of the time of a 4 volt pulse , yielding 1.6Vrms or Vave of 2.7V

anyway without melting your brain .... diff mods will suppply the oomph to the coil in different ways sometimes

P.S. electronic gurus feel free to pick the crap outta me lol
    Last edited by Fatman; 16-11-13 at 12:20 AM.
    davee, T7x and Apoc like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Thanks Fatman (for some reason I feel awkward typing that)

From what I know the SVD doesn't have RMS, but the ZMAX does (and it is currently set to RMS mode), would something like MEAN vs RMS really make that much difference?

Guessing based on what you stated that it does.

To answer my own question I'll change the ZMAX to mean, give it a go and report back.

I'm actually kinda curious about this now.

Super Moderator
    Gratuitous PWM video

EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Super Moderator
    Mean in most cases will give you a much harder vape ( more volts if you like ) than RMS .... there was a huge issue with the Zmax when it came out , using a crappy V(ave ) algorithm .... it actually led to Stoney ( an AVF legend ,ECDMeter inventor, and good mate) to pioneer the case of V(rms) in vaping .... basically the world agreed with him ( in time ) , and we have had better PWM mods because of it Yay Stoney !!!
    Basically with V(ave) you might set the mod for 4V and in reality it was supplying a much higher voltage ... it looked good in theory , but it didnt "feel" right .... Vrms is the solution , its a far more accurate and replicable method of supplying the oomph
    Last edited by Fatman; 16-11-13 at 12:41 AM.

Wow

To answer my own questions, Yes, RMS vs Mean changes things a lot.

The difference is really quite astounding, although purely anecdotal.

RSST, 2.5 ohm coil running at 10 watts. What I did was vape (mouth draw, mouth draw with nose exhale, deep draw), put it down for ~30 seconds, then vape again

RMS mode outcome: warmer vape, good flavour, full mouth felling

Mean mode outcome: cooler vape, tasted watered down, maybe equivalent to a stardust

Definitely a noticeable difference in vape experience.

The things you learn, now to go and figure out the difference between the algorithms

Again thank you
    Fatman and avtek like this.