Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Coil Rebuild

AVF Regular

Coil Rebuild

I think this is the correct place to post this.

If I am going to rebuild the EVOD coils what size wire do I need?

AVF Regular
    id go either 30 or 32 gauge or micro coil with 28gauge

AVF Regular
    Ok thanks for that mate.

AVF Regular
    Hi Wayno, I used 30 gauge kanthal to make a mini contact coil. I used a large blunt syringe needle that measures 10 cm in length so as not to be to awkward. The width as far as I can tell was about 1.25mm-1.5mm, hard without calipers. I probably went about 8 or so wraps then removed it from the needle and connected it to a device and fired it to glowing and then very delicately pinched the ends of the coil together as it cooled 3 or 4 times to get its coil shape to hold. Then put it back onto the needle and did 4 or so more wraps and repeated the pinching process. I then put it back on the needle for a few more wraps and did the same pinching process. Doing it a little at a time is the only way since the coil will be too long and wobbly to squeeze together otherwise. When the coil was as long as I wanted, I put it back on the needle and installed it. I only just fit into its enclosure with a bare minimum of room to the sides of the cavity. Make sure you leave enough spare wire either end of the coil, to make installation possible. I left about an inch either side. The resistance came out at 2.5ohm. I used cotton as a wick and it works like a charm.

BIG THANKS to Ash at OZVAPE for the mini Davide. It worked very well out of the box and with the above tweaking is a pocket rocket. Looking forward to winning the next competition too!!!
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

AVF Regular
    Huh it didn't seem that hard when I seen it on you tube lol.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Huh it didn't seem that hard when I seen it on you tube lol.
    Not hard, just fiddly. I didn't watch any you tube vids so there are probably good techniques to make it easier. I mostly play around with RBAs and there is a crap load of room to work with. Whole different ball-game. Good luck!!!
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    I think this is the correct place to post this.

If I am going to rebuild the EVOD coils what size wire do I need?
    If you're just starting to rebuild evods, Phil's (pbusardo) video is easy to follow.

Personally I like cotton as a wick too, so I just wrap some 32kanthal on a mini screwdriver shaft (that approximates the original coil size). 6 wraps gives me about 1.8-2 ohms. I prefer to keep them similar to stock coils as your basic mod or ego will heat the coil quickly. I didn't find a micro coil to work that well in them unless you crank voltage way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    maggie likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs-81 View Post
    If you're just starting to rebuild evods, Phil's (pbusardo) video is easy to follow.

Personally I like cotton as a wick too, so I just wrap some 32kanthal on a mini screwdriver shaft (that approximates the original coil size). 6 wraps gives me about 1.8-2 ohms. I prefer to keep them similar to stock coils as your basic mod or ego will heat the coil quickly. I didn't find a micro coil to work that well in them unless you crank voltage way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't know why its so but I was thinking that the coil I built was very responsive at fairly low watts. I have nothing really to compare it with though so hopefully Wayno will give everything a bit of a whirl!!!
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh11 View Post
    Don't know why its so but I was thinking that the coil I built was very responsive at fairly low watts.

Yes, so do mine (10/11 wraps of 30AWG 80/20NiCr [thanks davee] on a 2 drill bit - 1.7Ω on a 650mAh eGo)
    davee likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

I was wondering this myself I use evods whether its just as easy to try and wrap a new coil to get a bit of extra life out of a head, I watched that phil guys YouTube video and he just wraps around a silica wick, what I'm curious about is can you check the resistance with an ohm meter before you rebuild the head, to see if you roughly have the right resistance before putting it all back together?
    Alternatively how do you check the resistance with an ohm meter after its all put back together or just double checking a factory head.
    Thanks Kc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast