Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Singo
  • 1 Post By Apoc

Thread: SVD Bottom cap :(

SVD Bottom cap :(

I'm liking the SVD for now but one thing that's annoying me is the shiny bottom cap.

When ever I pick it up reflected spots get thrown around the room and it's really starting to bug me.

I've watched a vid or two about turning polished into brushed and the other way around, but with the indentations in the cap not sure I'd be able to get it to look right. Anyone had any success dimming a SVD bottom cap down and any pointers you could throw my way?

Thanks

Not pointing it in the direction of the sun could help...
    jsalvacion123 and Apoc like this.

AVF Regular
    What's it doing upside down??

The bottom cap on the SVD is actually chromed brass (I don't know why Innokin insist on making SS mods with chromed brass bottom caps). Some scotch brite pads or steel wool may give it a bit of brushed look. Just make sure all your strokes are in the same direction, and don't be too rough, otherwise you may end up stripping the chrome depending on how good the chroming is... which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if you want to take it back to brass.

Quote Originally Posted by luntingsir View Post
    What's it doing upside down??

The bottom cap on the SVD is actually chromed brass (I don't know why Innokin insist on making SS mods with chromed brass bottom caps). Some scotch brite pads or steel wool may give it a bit of brushed look. Just make sure all your strokes are in the same direction, and don't be too rough, otherwise you may end up stripping the chrome depending on how good the chroming is... which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if you want to take it back to brass.
    Depends how many beers I've had, sometimes vaping on the floor is just easier

I'll raid the kitchen cabinet sometime and have a go.

Cheers
    luntingsir likes this.