Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Wick question from Newby

Wick question from Newby

Actually 2 questions brought about because everyone locally is out of stock of the replacement coils.

1. I have a favorite clearo with exposed cotton looking wicks that are getting old and tatty. Can I take the new wicks from a totally different clearo type and use them in my fave one? They look similar but just a bit shorter and twined differently.

2. I see people on here talking about buying cotton. If I was desperate, could I just use white cotton (from the sewing kit) and twirl it together so it resembles the original and use it instead? Is there any special way to do this?

Hope you get a giggle from these questions if they are totally out there. Thanks in anticipation.

Super Moderator
    Ans 2. 100% Cotton balls from Coles / Woolies / IGA
    Fatman and Donna like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Actually 2 questions brought about because everyone locally is out of stock of the replacement coils.

1. I have a favorite clearo with exposed cotton looking wicks that are getting old and tatty. Can I take the new wicks from a totally different clearo type and use them in my fave one? They look similar but just a bit shorter and twined differently.

2. I see people on here talking about buying cotton. If I was desperate, could I just use white cotton (from the sewing kit) and twirl it together so it resembles the original and use it instead? Is there any special way to do this?

Hope you get a giggle from these questions if they are totally out there. Thanks in anticipation.
    1) If the clearo is one where you can replace the coil unit, it would be preferable to do so. If not, you can try certainly. The main thing to check is that the wick makes good contact with all of the the inside of the coil, so that you don't end up with excessive hot spots.

2) yep, cotton balls. Or unbleached 100% cotton yarn. But be very careful to make sure the cotton stays wet. This could be a problem in clearomizers where the coil is at the top. If your coil gets too dry and take a drag you will have a ruined wick and might end up with a literal fire. Cotton burns really well.
    Donna likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    1) If the clearo is one where you can replace the coil unit, it would be preferable to do so. If not, you can try certainly. The main thing to check is that the wick makes good contact with all of the the inside of the coil, so that you don't end up with excessive hot spots.

2) yep, cotton balls. Or unbleached 100% cotton yarn. But be very careful to make sure the cotton stays wet. This could be a problem in clearomizers where the coil is at the top. If your coil gets too dry and take a drag you will have a ruined wick and might end up with a literal fire. Cotton burns really well.
    +1, but highly unlikely to catch fire as you'll stop activating the battery when you taste the dry hit ...
    Donna likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    you've probably got the cotton balls in your bathroom Donna it may be a bit of a mission to get the cotton wool into the coil though.
    Donna likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    I'm curious about these cotton ball wicks can someone post up a pic of what the end product should look like if you could be bothered. Do you pull it out and twirl it really tight or leave it kinda fluffy
    Donna likes this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    +1, but highly unlikely to catch fire as you'll stop activating the battery when you taste the dry hit ...
    True, but it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to rebuildables and safety.
    Donna likes this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Donna, we've been talking about 'the clearo' but exactly what make & model is it?

One of us might have spares, or know about rebuilding its coils.
    Donna likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    Donna, we've been talking about 'the clearo' but exactly what make & model is it?

One of us might have spares, or know about rebuilding its coils.
    Hey fad, it is a Kanger T2. I do have other clearos so I'm not in need. It's just that this particular one is my favourite and I am waiting on spare coils to be in stock. I was just hoping to prolong it's life for a little while longer. Thanks for the thought though, this forum is just filled with generous people. Thanks also to Suckitin for his offer as well.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Hey fad, it is a Kanger T2. I do have other clearos so I'm not in need. It's just that this particular one is my favourite and I am waiting on spare coils to be in stock.
    Donna, Steam-e-cigs and Vapeking both seem to have T2 coils in stock:
    Steam-e-cigs | Kanger T2 replacement coil
    Kanger T2 Replacement Coil
    Donna likes this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast