Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Apoc

Thread: Smoother vape or in my head?

Smoother vape or in my head?

Let me preface the below by saying I'm not a fan of the look of box mods, just me but eh, it is what it is.

I received an MVP today, I bought this purely because I wanted to see if I could tell the difference between my ZMAX/SVD and something that doesn't use the 33.3 PWM chip without spending a couple hundred on a provari, nivel chip device or a dna20 mod.

Using the same atty (KFL+ with 2 ohm contact coil with cotton) I've been switching between the 3 devices for the last 5 or 6 hours, all set at 4.6 volts.

I'd be hard pushed to choose between the SVD and ZMAX, having said that I've consistently come back to the MVP and it comes down to one thing, smoothness.

The draw has been consistent, which is to be expected as the atty sorts that out, the flavour has been similar but the difference is that on the MVP I don't get any harshness. Let me explain that.

On the SVD, the initial taste is nice, but on the inhale feels almost but not quite scratchy at the back of my throat. Very similar was experienced with the ZMAX (hold on lemme double check that, doesn't look as nice as doesn't sit flush props to the SVD for that, one sec swapping the battery over, yep not harsh but an almost scratchy feeling)

Moving across to the MVP, yep that's smooth, weird but it's almost hard to tell that it's working on the first draw as TH drops a very noticeable amount, until the end of the vape. It looks like a dogs breakfast, really there's nothing seamless or pretty about it, but for me at least I can see the SVD and ZMAX being relegated to backups.

Speaking of backups, what's this atty like on my ego... looks um...stupid, massive head caricature stupid, vapes..... a bit anemic really, to be expected although funnily enough smoother than the ZAMX. Not sure what that says. Maybe if the ego uses 33.3 it says that I have no idea what I'm on about and it is in my head, have to check that out.

Anyway, ramble mode off.

I'd be interested in others experience using similar mods.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    apoc - ive always assumed the mvp has the same or similar 33.3 pwm chip as the svd..... i remember thinking i should confirm that one way or another but then i just forgot about it

to date the mvp is the only apv ive used - ive been tempted to get a telescopic zmax but ive held back when ive seen atty's not mounting flush on them - but now from what you have said im thinking i should just stick with my mvps, get my mech mods sorted and forget about the zmax

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    All electronic components have tolerances. If it is the same chip it could still function a little different.
    Just got a kick today and set it to 5w. I usually vape at 5w without kick on mechs. Fist few vapes I was thinking it's not as smooth as it is without the kick. Interesting to play with a kick but I guess it's mechanical mod all the way for me.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    there are (to my knowledge) 2 different types of vv. one is different length pulses of the same voltage to make an average of the desired voltage and one is a constant supply of the desired voltage using resistors and capacitors and such like (don't quote me on the components or science). the thing is, i get a very different vape from my sid or vamo than i do from my smoktech gripper because of the different ways the voltage is achieved. so it could well be that it is not in your head at all.

AVF Regular
    dont have an mvp but it aint in ya head zmax & vamo vape like crap imo due to pwm spiking
    Smokin no good A .

AVF Regular
    if you have the dough to buy kayfun lite plus, you can afford provari or dna20. They arent too much dearer anyway. Plus you can probably score a second hand one here. Its definitely worth the money.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Anyway, ramble mode off.

I'd be interested in others experience using similar mods.

Cheers
    The MVP *is* 33 Hz PWMed. There's no scientific reason why the actual vape between 33 Hz and (say) 800 Hz should be any different. Perceptions may have a lot to do with it, but much more important for this myth is many people do not understand the difference between AVG and RMS modes. The Vamo 2 and 5 come set to AVG by default and this will give the result of effectively around 1 volt over compared to the same setting in RMS mode. RMS mode is the only one that can be related directly to smooth DC current.

I use a wide variety of devices - Twists, a Vamo, mechanicals, and a VV Reo. There are many factors that influence the harshness of the vape but PWM is not one of them. Yes, I know that people argue otherwise rather strenuously, but I'm able to get the exact same vape out of any of these devices.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

I love the rattlesnake sound and feeling on a Boge. I always had decent mods and one day got a smoktech vmax. It was heaven and haven't gone away from 33mhz since.

Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    apoc - ive always assumed the mvp has the same or similar 33.3 pwm chip as the svd..... i remember thinking i should confirm that one way or another but then i just forgot about it

to date the mvp is the only apv ive used - ive been tempted to get a telescopic zmax but ive held back when ive seen atty's not mounting flush on them - but now from what you have said im thinking i should just stick with my mvps, get my mech mods sorted and forget about the zmax
    Just checked the duty cycle and volts with my multimeter, everything set to 4.5 volts, the svd and zmax were 40% duty cycle, zmax was putting out ~5.7 volts, the svd ~5 volts, the mvp had 0.01 duty cycle and was spitting out 4.2 volts.

Edit: test was done without any atty attached

Edit 2: ego was 3.9 volts at 0.01 duty cycle

so it's not a 33 chip, which agree's with couple video reviews of it I've seen.
    Last edited by Apoc; 10-12-13 at 08:40 PM.
    Fatman likes this.