Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Altered1
  • 1 Post By Altered1

Thread: Alloy vs brass query

jen
    AVF Regular

Alloy vs brass query

I am going through 510/ego alloy adaptors at a rate of knots......mmm ok, not that fast, seems fast though, roughly 1 every 2 or 3 weeks. They are from fasttech so could be just plain rubbish - Im not sure. The silicon at the bottom started poking out on the last one, stopped the provari in its tracks.

Fasttech offer one alloy adaptor at $1.30 and also 5 brass adaptors at $4.41, I assumed as the brass was cheaper the alloy may last longer.
    I know at these prices its not exactly question of the year, its driving me crazy when everything stops working though, so a big problem with a little price tag

Is alloy or brass a better adaptor material?

I'm gonna stock up on the answer

TIA

AVF Regular
    The brass is probably more expensive, but it is a softer metal than the alloy (not sure what alloy it is??) and therefor easier to work and manufacture.

It's probably more an aesthetic question - which one looks better ?

There will be different abilities to conduct electricity.

Probably too much info? But:

This of course doesn't address the quality of the item.
    jen likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

jen
    AVF Regular
    aaah true, how can we compare alloy and brass without knowing the recipe for the alloy? meh, looks like try the brass 5 pack n see if lasts longer.

I figure the hot water bath I give it to remove drips is not great for the silicone, will try to drop the temp a little or remember to use metho or something.....oh hang on, metho wouldnt be great for silicone either.....so back to order lots and turf when dead I guess.
    siiiigh

Thanks tho

AVF Regular
    From my experiences with silicone in other applications, not vaping, the silicone shouldn't have an issue with hot water.... it has many high temp uses, and is not an exothermic compound (doesn't degrade at temp - at least not the temps your are using)

The problem is probably repeatedly removing and reattaching the adapters. If you could install them once only, it would probably last a long time.

My guess is the silicone is being compressed and stretched beyond what it is designed for. It's wearing out.

Probably a crap design and cheap manufacture play a part as well

Metho shouldn't harm silicone either.... acetone on the other hand.......
    jen likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF